Traditional fences

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Alvary, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Alvary

Alvary dOn't gEt mAd, gEt EvIl.

Hey all

My bloody sheep keep on getting out and wandering into my neighbour's paddocks. I have tryed basic barb, eletric and barb and 8 rows of barb and they still get out!!! They just push on through untill they have stretched the wire enough. *sigh*

Well, i was watching 'Cold mountain' the other day (alright movie, worth watching for the scenery lol) and I saw two traditional all-timber fence styles, which set me to thinking.

We have a large area of young poplars which need thinning (badly) which would be perfect. I was hoping a couple of people would give me some pointers or even designs! :eek:

Thanks in advance
    Jessica

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I thought you needed net wire for sheep.

3. just_sawing

just_sawing Haney Family Sawmill

First of all Popular isn't good for more than two years. The english actually raise as a crop maple and others for waddle fencing. The technique they use is cut a mature tree three to five feet off the ground. This causes the tree to shoot water sprouts that are harvested for waddle fencing.
    What I would recomend (Reliese what I know about sheep would not fill the head of a pin) but I have fenced about everything else. Put in solid wood post closer than normal 24' spacing is good. Put in steel at 6 foot spacing inbetween. Now I find it at the scrap metal yard but install three strands of guy wire (Single ply) tight. Now on this you can start a waddle design. What I would use is bamboo. I raise it he in tennesse and it grows invasively. The nic thing about it it repleanishes every year and you will always have material to fix the fence. Now on the back side in teh middle of teh fence plant wild primrose (The state may give you these) They will grow through everything and teh thorns will hold the live stock. As the rose grabs hold you won't have to replace the bamboo as often unless there is a hole. The heavy wire will last a long time. If you can't get guy wire use four strand of high tensial. For waddle instructions google waddle fence.

4. Alvary

thanks

The fence doesn't need to be there long...i'm (hopefuly) moving in 1-2 years. (as if...)
    A friend suggested i just put the poplar straight in the ground and weave smaller branches between them. Apparently it will grow and become a sheep proof barrier...bit slow, but hey.

still welcoming advice!

Jessica

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

nope! sheep will eat the leaves off the sticks then bust through!woven wire is bout the only thing will stop sheep. then it must be tied to the ground so they do not duck under! we have some log rail fencing , cedar rails 100 years old . if tight (no large gaps) then the sheep will stay other wise they look on it as a challenge! over,under ,through! :rolleyes:

6. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

How big an area do you have to fence? My suggestion if they are going thru electric ( how many hot strands did you use, how big a wire, how good a ground, how good a charger.?.) is what we call woven wire or net fence as someone mentioned above.

http://www.maxflex.com/woven_wire.HTM

I am suprised the electric couldn't hold them. Normally a good high tensile electric setup will hold the animals as long as you are getting a good shock current onto the fence.

Electric fences are great at preventing that constant leaning and pushing on fences that causes them to lean over and get pushed apart over time.

7. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Many of my neighbors have sheep and goats. They have no trouble keeping them in with field fencing...with top and bottom wires that are charged. One of the pasture fences divides my meadow from a large 17 acre pasture. Never had stock in my meadow...they all stay inside the fence.

Good luck with this and be happy you don't have hogs! LOL They seem to be like water and just flow through everything! LOL

LQ

8. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOL electric fence is invisable to sheep! woven wire is the way to go. on the otherhad if ya got plenty of food ya dont need to fence the sheep in just the dogs out!
    Why isnt this in the sheep forum?

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Good question why is it not in the sheep forum? I had woven wire for my sheep, But I have seen plenty of traditional enclosures here in Kosovo that are made by weaving many small saplings together to make a tight low fence about 3 to 4 feet high.

10. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Ok, I will bite, how come electric fence is invisible to sheep? Does the hair or fur or what have you make them immune to electric shock? A sheep can get thru a high tensile electric fence with wires spaced a foot apart ( or less ) with a charger giving 9000+ volts?

I think woven wire fence is fine, my problem with is the animals that like to lean and push on it until it sags.

11. Alvary

Thanks all

My sheep are wiltshires...the eletric keeps them from going through...exept my dorset poll ram, who (the gentelman) breaks the fence for them to get through. (he has a bit of a thick head lol)

The reason this isn't in the sheep forum is becuase it was intended to be about traditional fences, not sheep. ;)

thanks all
    Jessica