Tractors in Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I've been looking for a small tractor, 40 - 45 hp, with live power.

What I need is small tractor to run an end loader for mucking out stalls, run a post hole auger, something to pull a bush-hog, and just maybe a sickle bar mower, a rake, and a square baler.

An leads out there?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

About any place that sells new ones has used one to sell. Around here every town big enough for two stoplights has at least one new tractor dealer. If you get a tractor just like you discribed, you will find more things that it can do for you than you ever dreamed of. Happy hunting.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

The nearest corn field is over 100 miles from here; very few dealors on the internet.

Maybe some of the gentlefolk here would know where to find a dealer in Minnesota?

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in southern MN I've got corn fields for 100 miles around.... ;) Lots more hay up your way than corn, still use tractors for that don't they?

Best place is at an estate auction sale, you usually get a good deal & probably a good machine.

Dealers sell used machines that were so wore out the previous owner traded it in.... The dealer _might_ have fixed the problems & is charging a premium price. JMHO.

How far north are you again? There is a regional farm paper called 'The Land' that lists all kinds of dealers & auction sites. I believe they have 2 editions, one for the south (I get) and one for the mid Minnesota. Try hard to get your hands on an issue or 2 of this, it will give you loads of dealers with their web sites. They also have a large listing of classifieds with private sales. Some of this is on-line, check here:

http://www.the-land.com

Each of the major farm lines (JD, NH, Case, Agco) has web sites with dealer locators, you can go to their sites & punch in your zip code & find the nearest dealer. This can help you find a place to buy, & might influence the color of tractor you buy depending how far parts are..... Also nearly every dealer is on the internet, or has a reference at the dealer locator as mentioned.

--->Paul

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

There are hay fields around here but no dealers. Every once and a while someone will list an old plug of a tractor for sale, but all I've looked at were used to 110% of their life.

I won't mind rebuilding an old tractor if there was enough left to build on.

I'll go look as the "the land" on line and see what I can find.

Thanks a heap!

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Go to Ag Dealer and do a dealer search. You coem up with 5 pages of Minnesota dealers. Not sure any are near you but worth a look.

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Contact the Farm Bureau and ask for a copy of the state newspaper. Usually tons of classifieds, auction notices and dealer ads.

There's something on the internet...iron search or something like that. Can't remember exactly but it's a giant machinery search all over the country.

Jena

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

9. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Check the auctions in your area- www.midwestauctions.com

Where are you in MN? The only place I can think of without cornfields is "Da Range"!

10. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Yup, "Da Range".

Thanks for all of the links; I've been looking and found even more than tractors. :)

I did find a tractor for sale in the local paper yesterday; unusual.

It's a 1950 Ferguson. Comes with a grader blade and an eight foot set of discs (drag hires back in Kentucky) and is supposed to look like a Ford 9N, the only difference being the motor.

I'm going to see it in a few munutes.

11. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ross,

Great website, thanks.

Alex

12. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I bought the tractor!!! :)

$2500 for the 1950 model Ferguson. It comes with the grader and hires mentioned above, all new rubber, a fairly recent paint job, a purrs like a kitten.

The fellow who had it had his records of repairs and parts replaced for the 10 years he owned it.

The only part need is a new, used, or rewound generator. He said it runs all summer on just the battery so he never bothered to fix it.

It really does look just like a Ford 9N!! Plus it was manufactured the year I was born.

I still want to thank everyone for the help and way cool links. Now to get to work looking for a generator, a sickle mower, a rake, a small square baler, a bush hog, a round bale lifter..., I need a new barn.

13. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I bought the tractor!!! :)

$2500 for the 1950 model Ferguson. It comes with the grader and hires mentioned above, all new rubber, a fairly recent paint job, a purrs like a kitten.

The fellow who had it had his records of repairs and parts replaced for the 10 years he owned it.

The only part need is a new, used, or rewound generator. He said it runs all summer on just the battery so he never bothered to fix it.

It really does look just like a Ford 9N!! Plus it was manufactured the year I was born.

I still want to thank everyone for the help and way cool links. Now to get to work looking for a generator, a sickle mower, a rake, a small square baler, a bush hog, a round bale lifter..., I need a new barn.