Tractor to plow snow?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rwzzz, May 22, 2006.

1. rwzzz

rwzzz Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Anyone use a tractor to plow snow? I will be needing to plow our driveway this winter (about 450') in NE Pa. Some winters we get snow, this past winter hardly any. I was thinking of getting a small tractor with a front end loader on it anyway. Would this work for plowing snow? I used one a few years ago to do a parking lot and it seemed to work fine. Any one use the snow blowers they sell for the "compact" tractors. I have a 25h lawn tractor and could buy a snow blower attachment for the front of it but it seems it would be to cheezy for such a long drive way. My other option is to buy an old plow truck, but would rather have a tractor if that works.

thanks
    BobZ

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We don't use the front end loader for the same reason WIHH mentioned - it just piles up in the loader and doesn't get swept to the side.

We have a plow attachment for our ATV and although we didn't get much snow this past winter we did plow the steep part of the drive and the area where we park and turn around a couple of times. Worked fine in that little bit of snow.

If you're going to get the tractor anyway, I'd go ahead and spring for a snow plow, in addition to the loader.

I haven't used the blowers so can't comment on those.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I used to use a back blade to push snow backwards on the 8N.
    I now use JD garden tractor with the 60" snowblower attatchment. It does a very good job as long as you don't let the snow get too deeply settled or under ice. It performed perfectly this past winter with average snowfalls. Before that I used a JD walk behind 32" path h.d. blower. It did the job, but was slower.

4. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

For one winter..I used my tractor and front-end loader..and it was the same problem already mentioned by WIHH and TH. Sure..it was possible to clear snow..but it wasn't efficient. But..it can be done.

Then..since I already had a 4x4 pickup truck..I bought a BOSS snowplow. Best thing I could have done..so easy..efficient..and get to stay inside nice warm cab.

I've never tried the snowblower attachment..but they probably work as well as a walk-behind snowblower. I have a 32" walk-behind..but don't use it anymore since I moved to current house with a gravel driveway. (Used to have a blacktopped driveway..and it was very effective on that.)

Your final decision might be linked to your financial situation..because it can get expensive to buy a snowblower attachement. Before you decide..make it a point to explore all your options..
    1)tractor/frontend loader..
    2)tractor/backblade..
    3)tractor/snowblower..
    4)pickup truck/snowplow..
    5)walk-behind snowblower..6)shovel..
    6)paying someone else to plow you out everytime..
    7)install heated driveway..

Usually it becomes a financial decision..so weigh the costs.

5. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in NC we get little or no snow each yr. When there is snow we use our big John Deere with a 8ft. scrap blade that is on the rear. DH has it at an angle and it works wonderful. I am sure if we had lots and lots of snow we would have to do something different but it works for us (as well as most farmers around here). During one big snow storm, dh used his tractor to clear driveways from our farm to town and made over $1000.00. He wasn't charging but everyone "slipped" him a little "for helping out" ! He did it for over 4days... Pretty good money

6. End of the Road

End of the Road Well-Known Member

I live in western N.C. in the mountains (read driveway is long, crooked and steep) and I use a 600 series (one size larger than the N series) Ford with a 8 ft. scrape blade set at an angle like QB says. I do use chains and only plow going downhill on the steepest sections. Works like a charm!

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

This winter we used our frontend loader for snow removal. Our driveway is 1/8 of a mile long and we get lots of snow. We did need to have the town come in with their big grader and wing out the snowbanks a couple of times during the winter. We also have an 8' snowblower that attaches to the back of the tractor on the 3 pt. hitch. It does a beautifull job and you don't have the banks build up but it is slow. My DH can clear the driveway alot quicker with the frontend loader. I'd only get the tractor if you have plenty of other uses for it other than moving snow.

Heather

8. Gunner0331

Gunner0331 Well-Known Member

We get a LOT of snow up here in VT, but it comes in batches of an inch or so. Snowblowers are great at moving heavy snowfalls, but not worth the cost unless you get serious lake effect snow.

A front end loader is okay for occasional use, but I use a rear blade on my Kubota. Unless the snow is really deep I simply angle the blade and drive forward over the snow; that way saves me from getting a stiff neck looking back over my shoulder all the time. If the ground is frozen, I plow with the concave side of the blade facing forward with the blade angled to the side as far as I can. If the ground is thawed, I spin the blade around and use the convex side so it doesn't dig into the ground.

You'll find tons of useful info at Tractorbynet.com

Gunner

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want a tractor and are using this for a rationalizing excuse, fine, go for it. But if you genuinely want to do snow removal, get a blower. Even a walk behind type will do a heck of a good job. It'll be faster and more effective than a blade and tractor. Btdt.