Tractor tires for raised beds/tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by InHisName, May 13, 2006.

1. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

Bought a few tractor tires today- thought they would work for tomatoes here- we are zone 3/4- anyone else use tires in the garden? If not, what do you use if you need more heat?

2. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I use tires for my potatos. I plant them in the bottom one and then add another tires and more dirt as they grow taller. I'm down here in Tx, so I dont need more heat, but if you do that should help, I'd think (as I am remembering all the times I was burned by my tire intertube floating in the creek as a child. ouch!) Where do you BUY used tractor tires?????

3. InHisName

A shop garage sale- $2 each! Potatoes are a good idea.
    Teri

4. midkiffsjoy

Awwww heck. Thats a great deal!!!! It seemed easier to me than using 55 gallon drums (which is what the article I read used). *grin*

5. Wildoutdoorsmen

Wildoutdoorsmen Active Member

I use tires for alot of things they are cheap and last forever. Raised gardens and easy to clouth with plastic and baling twine. Heating water, place large tires in a stack, place barrel inside cover with plastic. Compost bins is another good thing. As complost gets lower, flip off top tires get good bottom stuff, the replace bottom tire on top of old top tire, replace the worms and your done.

6. Niki

Niki mini-steader

Anyone in NE Ohio or willing to travel here to get four free tractor tires, I will let you know where I saw them with a "FREE" sign on them. I don't have room for them now, or I'd grab them up! I never thought to use them as compost containers! Great idea!

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We have a tractor tire tomato bed here in S. Missouri. Works great. Make a net wire tomato cage that just fits inside, and you won't have to do any staking. We plant about 4 tomato plants and three pepper plants in it.

When the weather warms up and get sunny, you will probably have to water it every day.

8. Wildoutdoorsmen

Wildoutdoorsmen Active Member

One thing I do to save on valuable water is line the tire with 6 mil poly like a coffee filter, before putting in soil. The cavity(inside of tire) acts as a heat storage space and heats soil, and the plastic helps retain water. Just a thought to add, I do this and it helps with watering.

9. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

i was told that the vegetable grown in tires absorb the rubbery taste. Thats not true?

could i use regular tires, for single plants?

10. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

I can get free regular tires, I figured maybe i could paint them bright colors and line them up for my garden, we have so much rock its hard to dig, and the bright colors would attract bees , and humming birds

11. InHisName

check out the website www.tirecrafting.com it has pictures and ideas- there was some info on gardenweb too- Rose, that's great to know 4 tomatoes and 4 peppers will fit in one tire! Thanks! - Teri

12. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I use raised beds for everything as we have HEAVY clay soil. For cooler weather vegs, I have cedar log raised beds but for tomatoes, cukes, and peppers, I am using tires. The black tires absorb heat and make a more comfortable habitat for tomatoes.

I'm struggling with clay soil, and have had to hand mix my own from compost and peat moss.

13. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I tried to make a tiered bed for starwberries from a tractor tire and an auto size one, last spring. Everything went well until this winter the frost heaved the plants out of the top, small tire. The strawberries on the bottom tire look great; now I have stringbeans in the top tire. I also have 3 tractor tires near the barn for hay. That way the wind doesn't blow the hay to the neighbors and if the horses decide to squabble over the hay their not walking in it or hitting their legs on steel.

14. midkiffsjoy

All the best deals are up in Ohio!!! *pout*