Tractor Supply rake?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by .netDude, Jun 3, 2005.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Anyone use one of those small Tractory Supply rakes (the ~$300 one)? I'm putting up a couple acres of hay (loose), and was wondering if those small rakes are worth it.
    Thanks.

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I dont think they are actually intended for hay use. They are good as landscape rakes, though. I dont know why they wouldnt work at piling the hay except the piles may end up pretty messy. I think you would have better luck cutting the hay and picking it up directly from the swath as it would(should) all be laying in the same direction.

3. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

A landscape/rock rake won't work very well for hay; the hay bunches up and gets stuck in the tines.

4. .netDude

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I've never seen one with tine wheels. But, if you are going to be loose stacking the hay, you wont have to have it quite so dry before you stack it. How will you be cutting the hay?

6. .netDude

I cut it with a walk behind troy bilt sickle bar mower. Around an acre / hr, but I won't be cutting much. Really cutting it to try and get the pasture back in shape. Hasn't been cut in years, lots of scrub, but sections w/ lots of timothy also. I figure worst case, it'll be bedding (looks like rain the next few days..).

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never used one of those little fellows, but I do bale 20 acres of hay 3x a year & as much straw. I would not expect the small wheels to _ever_ work with long hay. Leaves only.

I have a NH roll-a-bar rake, and a 5 wheel full-sized 3pt wheel rake. Based on experience with the wheel rake I have, the little one will only plug up on long grass, would only work for leaves & grass clippings.....

Any old real-sized hay rake for $5-400 at a farm auction would work much better, in my humble opinion.

--->Paul

8. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

.netdude, I wouldnt worry at all about using a power rake. With that sickle mower cutting, it is going to lay it down pretty flat and even. Then you can pile it and tie it there in the field and then move it.
    BY THE WAY, if you are cutting an acre an hour like this, you should be pretty proud--thats a lot of work.

9. .netDude

Thanks for the responses.
    I have complete respect for those that have been haying it this way....(and the acre / hr was just to cut, not to pick up!)