Tractor recommendations ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mpillow, Jun 8, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay we are buying a new tractor...our debt free existence was short lived(LOL)

Husband wants hydrostatic 30-45hp....we have all the brands around...Kubota, John Deere, Mihindra, Massey-Ferguson, Ford, New Holland.
    We eventually hope to pick up a hay field but are not concerned with having a kicker...just let hay bales drop :shrug:

For now we are just going to get a bucket/hoe/tiller attachments. We will be land clearing and building house/barn using it (gravel pads and such) in the next few years as well as for snow removal and poop removal from barn(goats and chix)...just to give you an idea of what our plans are for this beast of burden.

The M-F we looked at was not hydrostatic and seemed "cheaper" built than others...the rest seem fairly even :shrug: :help:

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We originally wanted a New Holland but the dealer told us that they did not make a good "mid sized" tractor, they did the small tractors or the big ones.

We got a Kubota and we LOVE it. Starts right up even in the winter. Haven't ever had any other tractor, though, so I can't say it's better than others.

We thought the Deere were overpriced - you pay for the name and the green paint.

3. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

A few years ago I bought a Kioti: which is a light-weight piece of junk. I would stay with the "mainstream" tractors like JD, NH, Kubota etc... if for nothing else, their resale value.

4. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Well, between the 5 tractors we have here we use the Kubota the most, like 95% of the time. I think it's because it has 4 wheel drive and power steering. Geez, may as well sell the others, huh.

5. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Try www.tractorbynet.com. Lot's of forums about the different brands and lots of folks to give you advice.

6. MikesMate

MikesMate Well-Known Member

Take a look at a Zetor (they're orange, and Czech made). We have two, they seem to be very well made, come with lots of attachments (also 4wd), definitely get a lot for your money.

7. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

We have a 40hp TYM for basically the same purpose. They have Kubota engines and Eaton drive trains. They had a bad rap for a while but we think we got a lot of bang for the buck. We've been using it 3-4 hours a day for 6 months. They do have a no interest program going now.

8. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

We have five tractors here.

One Case@176hp - dual wheels, cab, AC, radio

The other four are New Holland.
    30 hp standard shift with loader
    33 hp hydrostatic
    65 hp standard shift with shuttle-loader with Woods quick change attachment-forks and bucket
    110 hp standard shift-loader with Woods quick change attachment-forks and bucket

I've had just about every kind of tractor there is-Nothing beats the New Holland

Of the five the one we use the most, by far, is the 65 hp.

9. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Ford Ford or a Ford..Have 3 1949 8n still runs great a 4000 and a 5000 both are over 20 years old and run like new easy to get parts for even the 1949 model...

10. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

I would not part with my Kubota. Dependable.

11. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i would look at the cost and availability of replacement parts if something should go wrong.

12. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Lot's of good tractors out there, but I have a Kubota and love it. My BIL just bought one for his place, and my brother almost bought one while the BIL was signing his paper work. My brother was dealing for an MX5000 with a loader and shuttle shift. It's a 50 HP tractor, but without too many bells and whistles. They were asking $21,500 and offering 0% interest for three years from Kubota...not a bad deal. Kubota's come with three year warranties, but that's not a big deal (since they don't break). Good luck and happy land clearing.

13. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Love my 45 hp Kubota with front end loader. Should have gotten 4w drive. Only negative is I haven't seen a cheap aftermarket shop manual for it.

14. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

New Holland, JD, Kubota - all pretty good. Go with the dealer you like, the price you find, the fit & feel of the machine. Quality & basics are all pretty close on these.

I personally prefer a clutch over a hydro, but for tiller & snow blowing hydro is cool. Just my preference is to stay away from hydro.

You mentioned hay baling some day - note that these compact tractors are not usually built tough enough to handle a square baler. Those balers only use 15-20 hp to run them; but the flywheel 'stores' about 50 hp in it, and so the tractor drivetrain has to be built tough enough to handle that type of abuse from the baler. As well a baler is pretty heavy, you end up with the tail wagging the dog. Look into this carefully, for baling you would be much happier with a 'utility' class tractor ratyher than a 'compact' class. Might be similar power, but the drivetrain & frame will be much sturdier. Check the warrenty on the compacts - many say not covered for damage by a baler.....

--->Paul

15. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Kubota...have had ours for about 10 years and not problem one. Granted,not powerful enough to do some things but our neighbor bales our hay on shares so we don't care. We do the mowing and raking,he bales. Pretty much used daily for some chore or other. We were lucky and went to the Bank of MIL to buy ours new. DEE

16. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Good reminder. Unless you want a tractor for a specialty purpose, like pulling a baler, get a 4x4. It makes a 40 HP tractor act like it's got 60.

17. mpillow

We got some prices...

Kubota 43hp(HST) 4wd w/ loader, 9ft hoe, KUHN tiller....$38318.17 (includes tax) cheapest 35300

Kubota 38hp HST same attach ......$34554 cheapest 33100

New Hollands
    40hp w/attachments $33300
    45hp w/attach $35000

0% interest for 1-3 years and 5.99% for 6 years

I had a big laugh.....our house and 5 acres of land in 1991 only cost $46000
    :p :p

Thanks for all the help :) I think we may save pennies another year and have half down...and sell the smaller stuff too

18. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

19. mpillow

Yes we did look in Uncle Henry's....apparently they hold their value and with low financing avail. on new and the fact that we are young...we are thinking new...we will be farming more as we near retirement(haha) on land my parents are living on about 50acres.

Right now we just borrow a BX22 from BIL but its clearly too small for future needs....

20. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa;

Have you tried Dorr's Equipment in Bangor? That's where I bought mine last Sept. I got a super deal. L3130 Kubota with QA front end.. manure bucket... bale spear.. pallet forks.. log arch.. ice chains with industrial tires (loaded) for $22,600.00 including sales tax. They are fantastic to deal with... Ask for Glenn and tell him I told you to mention my name.

We checked Hammond.. Ingraham... Greenpoint.. just about everybody and Dorr's was thousands of dollars less than the others for the same equipment.