Tractor question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Terri, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Is a small tractor capable of digging/harvesting carrots? So few people out here raise them, and nobody sells them in the farmers markets. It has occured to me that carrots might be a good crop, once the berries and asparagus are established.

Mind, I do not HAVE a tractor right now, but in a few years I might. Whether or not a small tractor can do carrots would be a factor in which machine I choose.

Or, is there some way to attach a moldboard plow to a riding lawn mower to plow them up without cutting them to pieces?

2. ex mek

ex mek Member

A small tractor will pull a plough the TE 20 Furgison aka the Ford N 8 pulls a single plough with ease, a 16 to 18 Horse power Diesel has equal torque so will pull to , A catagory 1 hitch is a must , its amazing what you can find it can do, Price is a problem as anything that can " Work " is usualy in the $2000 to $3000 range used, and new up to the price of a small house, Live drive PTO is very usefull as any number of machines can be hooked up , from a brush hog to a circular saw, even a generator is posible ,
    a Lawn tractor might have the horse power but it is not capable of puting it down onto the ground , the transmisiion is not strong enough to put up with it long.

3. Goose

Goose Migratory Waterfowl

A potato digger came to mind in response to your question. Here's a Google image search for 'potato digger':

Google

4. mikeg

mikeg Active Member

You could probably use an attachment on a troy built tiller or a single plow on a gravely type unit.