Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my travels last weekend, I saw some really unique little machines. I have no idea what they might be, but hoping Bill or somebody else here might know? I did not get a picture unfortunately, they were on the side of a rather windy highway just inside the fenceline.

These things were really cute, like lawn tractor or child's size machines. They were obviously quite old, 1940-50's's possibly? There were tracks like a Caterpillar on them instead of wheels, and all three of them were an extremely faded red color. I will look around on Google to see if I can't find a picture.
Oh! And if it's any help at all, there were beehives near these machines.

???

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Reactions: ShannonR

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like could be wild land fire tractor/plow.

MF worked as a Forest Ranger...they used little narrow tractor looking like that. to plow furrows thru the woods as fire breaks.
Were narrow to fit in between trees in thick woods.

Red color may mean "Fire equipment"

Images
https://www.google.com/search?q=wil...aaycjVAhXDx4MKHckyCcAQsAQIJw&biw=1093&bih=510
That actually makes a ton of sense!! A fire did rip thru that area, maybe 4 years back...
IDK if those machines are still running or not, but I liked looking at them and wondering about their use

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The woods east of our small town in central Wisconsin......had a big fire....1950's
Started along the rail road.....sparks from a "Hot Box"....train wheel bearings....could spread hit metal for miles.
Was headed for town...so everyone was out with garden hoses ...trying to keep their houses wet.
Water couldn't really keep up.....so the situation was getting rather dire.

DNR ...MF included.(Forest Rangers)....can out with those tractors and a double plows on the back...They plowed fire brake all over our woods.

Wind died down...fire was brought under control....BUT left all those furrows all over our woods
I lived a half a block from that woods and they made a fantastic play ground as a young man.

Those double furrows were about 2 ft wide... and had packed hard.....We had a super bike highway all over that woods......LOL

I would visit MF at the Ranger Station and see all the machinery...including those tractors.....

They always seems very tall (I was a kid, everything looks tall?....and narrow.
They were absolute powerful beasts of a machine....not only plowing, but dozing over trees in the process.

I gonna guess some if those furrows are still there.

Reactions: tambo

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill, they were a couple hours' drive from me but maybe next time I am in the area I will stop andbtake pics.

Hunter63, I didn't notice any furrows but the fenceline may have been where it was packed down. These machines weren't tall at all, they looked totally small and short, like the size of a kid's quad. I am serious, they are TINY!

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
Those are highly sought after by those who collect carnival stuff. They are prototype bumper cars. They never were very popular, though......too many crushed toes.......

geo

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
Actually, there's one for sale on M-43 on the way to South Haven. And, if I recall correctly, they used to be advertised on the back pages of Popular Mechanics. Anyone else remember or have an old copy? There were miniature manure spreaders, too. Would make a great parade thing today, if they would go fast enough and didn't tear up asphalt.

geo

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My interest in stuff like this is probably part of the reason I have been called "tractor girl" before.
I've never even owned a tractor though! LOL

·
Premium Member
25,121 Posts
Those aren't MINI crawlers like as with Struck, and Teri Track.. The radiators say McCormick Deering if my eye sights still good, and they were mid size crawlers, on the small size.
AND, looking again, the ID plate, at the bottom says the same thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts