Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Maybe it was just thirsty? LOL. What do you suspect, and what will you do if you see them again?

I've see three here in my lifetime. One tearing across the road into the woods, a blur, but when I shut off the engine, I heard a terrifying screech that I won't ever forget. The other two were a pair, one sitting IN THE ROAD, and the other in a pasture next to the road. They were lean and lanky. They weren't there for long, but I was thrilled to see them. I think the bobcat days here are over with all the clear-cutting going on. Maddening!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lots of big bobcats by my cabin , a pack of fox , mother and 3 pups and a big pack of coyotes more then I can count when they run buy .
It’s getting hard to sleep With all the snarling /howling /screeching .
At home I have chickens so if I see them snooping around my coup twice they get shot .
I can usually get outside with my 12g before I louse any girls but once cocky the rooster lost his head it was open season ,I was away and no one herd the chickens and they where eaten .

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Maybe it was just thirsty? LOL. What do you suspect, and what will you do if you see them again?

I've see three here in my lifetime. One tearing across the road into the woods, a blur, but when I shut off the engine, I heard a terrifying screech that I won't ever forget. The other two were a pair, one sitting IN THE ROAD, and the other in a pasture next to the road. They were lean and lanky. They weren't there for long, but I was thrilled to see them. I think the bobcat days here are over with all the clear-cutting going on. Maddening!
I have killed at least a hundred, probably looked at over two or three hundred. Maybe five of those were not coming to a predator call, in a trap, or treed by dogs. Have done this all over the state of Virginia, and a little bit of WVA. Those Eastern Virginia clearcuts are loaded with cats, simply teaming. If I had spent more than just an occasional weekend in those clearcuts, my numbers would probably be fourfold easily. Four years after cutting it is ideal habitat. The last several years I have turned them loose as incidental catches in coyote traps. A bobcat is not usually in cover that you can spot him in for more than a few yards in daylight. They blend in well, and they know it, because it means their very existence. I have walked up on them in traps and almost not seen them until nearly stepping on them, and I knew the trap was there. Have called them in to a few yards, and an eye or a tongue gave them away.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Up here a Lynx is a lean, lanky bobcat with 3x longer legs...

Then there is this you never want to see and you will never forget if you do...

Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Reactions: doc-

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I saw a bobcat twice, end of October, circling my chicken coop, though it couldn't get it. Ate 7 of the neighbors chickens. My experience is that it doesn't run away from me unless I tell it to "git." That cat don't care about me, it wants chicken.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I have killed at least a hundred, probably looked at over two or three hundred. Maybe five of those were not coming to a predator call, in a trap, or treed by dogs. Have done this all over the state of Virginia, and a little bit of WVA. Those Eastern Virginia clearcuts are loaded with cats, simply teaming. If I had spent more than just an occasional weekend in those clearcuts, my numbers would probably be fourfold easily. Four years after cutting it is ideal habitat. The last several years I have turned them loose as incidental catches in coyote traps. A bobcat is not usually in cover that you can spot him in for more than a few yards in daylight. They blend in well, and they know it, because it means their very existence. I have walked up on them in traps and almost not seen them until nearly stepping on them, and I knew the trap was there. Have called them in to a few yards, and an eye or a tongue gave them away.
Thanks for the heads up on the clearcut issue; I'd have thought bobcats prefer more cover, but 4 years would provide a good bit of that. They don't seem plentiful here -- or maybe I'm too noisy or something. I know coyotes are around. I've seen a few and they are brazen but turn away and disappear if they see me; my neighbor a quarter of a mile up the road hears them every night. Maybe the donkeys keep them to a minimum on my place. No shortage of rabbits this year; they're all over the place!

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the clearcut issue; I'd have thought bobcats prefer more cover, but 4 years would provide a good bit of that. They don't seem plentiful here -- or maybe I'm too noisy or something. I know coyotes are around. I've seen a few and they are brazen but turn away and disappear if they see me; my neighbor a quarter of a mile up the road hears them every night. Maybe the donkeys keep them to a minimum on my place. No shortage of rabbits this year; they're all over the place!
Do you spend a lot of time hunting with hounds, setting large numbers of foothold traps, or making sounds like a dying rabbit for 45 minutes at a time while camouflaged? If you don't do those things, you are not going to see very many bobcats. If there is food, they are there. You aren't going to see a mostly nocturnal animal that prefers heavy cover and has a camouflage coat because your heart desires it. Plus, it takes an adult non-nursing female about two weeks to show up in the same place twice, and double that for males. Vast territories that are covered by stalking and hiding motionless for hours on end.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Pre-64 model 70 with express sights. Mmmm. Being Canadian, there’s a better than average chance it’s a .303 British.
<<< >>>
Actually..... Swedish Husqvarna commercial Mauser M98 in 30-06... They are plentyful and dirt cheap up here even compared to the flood the market "budget" rifles most manufacturers put out.. And yes... There is a bush sporterized 1916 Enfield 303 that is my tractor scabard rifle..

This cat was paying too much attention and a danger to a mare and yearling colt...
Plus, it takes an adult non-nursing female about two weeks to show up in the same place twice, and double that for males.
<<< >>>
Yes... The time it takes a predator to cover there territory can be a valuable bit of knowledge to have... Useful in managing your livestocks safety and dealing with the threat...

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Husky is a good action. I have a custom rig built on the husky action, chambered in a silly fast 6 mm wildcat that involves 30-06 brass being necked down and having the shoulder moved forward and set a little steeper.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see tracks at least once a month, more in the winter with the snow. Won't do anything but go about my business. I live in their backyard.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Up here a Lynx is a lean, lanky bobcat with 3x longer legs...

Then there is this you never want to see and you will never forget if you do...

View attachment 102612
When I lived on a ranch in Arizona, I saw lion tracks daily if I was riding fence, or checking water tanks. We only hunted them if they started killing cattle. I once saw a Mexican Cowboy, fresh up from Mexico kill one on a fresh killed steer with a hand full of rocks. When I asked him why, he said in Mexico they didn't have many guns but had a lot of lions, so they had to make do with what they had.

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
I had a huge one show up about 18 years ago. I was in the chicken house and the chickens were free ranging, I looked out and saw it and yelled a number of times before it moved away. Went behind where there was a concrete water trough that was 4 ft wide. Standing by the trough it measured the full 4 ft. The thing was huge, huge head, made me think of Fred Flintstones sabertooth cat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts