Homesteading Forum banner

TP/Septic question

2K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Bink 
#1 ·
Okay--we're building a house with a septic system. We've been using Scott toilet paper because we can get it at a good price, and we know it won't clog up the septic at the new house.

Once the house is built, my 86-yr-old mother will be living with us. When I was at her place in May, I noticed she uses the ultra-soft-mega-quilted Charmin -type toilet paper. She has hemorrhoids.

Is there a softer paper than Scott that won't ruin the septic? I don't want her to be miserable.

#6 ·
We do not put ANY paper products in the septic system. There is a small trash can next to the potty, lined with a Wal-Mart bag. All paper goes in there, and it's carried out daily.

Paper products may break down over time, but when you think about it, they are cellulose and rag products. You wouldn't flush a tree or a cotton plant down your potty. :eek:

#7 ·
Rose said:
We do not put ANY paper products in the septic system. There is a small trash can next to the potty, lined with a Wal-Mart bag. All paper goes in there, and it's carried out daily.
I've thought of that, too, Rose. But I doubt I'll get her to go for it. For one, she's extremely modest, and I think putting her dirty paper in a bag instead of flushing it would mortify her. Also, there's the fact that she's 86, and for all the time she's used a flush toilet, she's flushed the paper. It's automatic.

I will probably see if she can stand Scotts or Marcal, but if anyone has other brands that will work, I'd like to hear them. :)

#9 ·
To test the suitability of toilet paper for septics, do this:

Fill a mason jar 3/4 full of water, add about 1 foot of TP to the jar. Put the lid on and shake it. If the TP falls apart right way, it's okay for septic systems.

I know Scotts will fall apart instantly, not sure about Granny's paper. Maybe if you did this test in front of her she'd understand.

G
#11 ·
I'm sorry that I cannot remember the date of issue, but there was a Consumer's Report guide dealing with toilet tissue. It rated the brands based on price, comfort/softness, and break-down/septic friendliness. You might be able to find it on a search.

I do remember that one of the best for septic, and softness was Angel Soft. Although I dislike the name (relating angels to wiping privates is rather disrespectful to their Creator), we have been pleased with the product. You can put a length of any tissue in the toilet, DON'T flush, then go back later, and see if it has started to break down on its own or not.

Anyway, try giving her her own roll of Angel Soft.

G
#13 ·
Bink said:
Okay--we're building a house with a septic system. We've been using Scott toilet paper because we can get it at a good price, and we know it won't clog up the septic at the new house.

Once the house is built, my 86-yr-old mother will be living with us. When I was at her place in May, I noticed she uses the ultra-soft-mega-quilted Charmin -type toilet paper. She has hemorrhoids.

Is there a softer paper than Scott that won't ruin the septic? I don't want her to be miserable.

I always check the package for any TP or soap product - if it doesn't specifically say "safe for septic" I don't use it. The good news is that I think Charmin says this on the package - I am almost sure I have that brand at home now - though I don't pay that much attention. Get the cheapest stuff that is safe for septic.

#14 ·
I have had septic tanks most of my life.

About the only thing I ever did was dump grease in a can and insist that feminine products go in the trash. I never worried about cleaners, toilet paper, or any of the other things I hear are supposed to be so terrible for tanks.

Never had a problem with any of the tanks I've owned. The only expense has been getting them pumped once in a while (usually every 2-3 years as I have a big family).

Toilet paper, no matter what brand, is not going to ruin your tank if it is properly maintained.

Jena

#16 ·
we got a high water table here, and getting our septic system to even stay in the ground was done by getting inventive and having a beautiful raised flowerbed on the top of it. We've lived here 22 years, and have always done the Walmart garbage bag. No paper goes down. No septic tank cleaning needed in last 22 years. And about once every 3 months or so, we put a septic cleaner through the system.

#17 ·
In this county all our septic tanks are inspected. Ours is 28 years old and the man who came said it was very clean with only minimal sludge at the bottom.We don't use any additives and we are careful about cleaning products etc. The only time we have ever had trouble with the tank was when we used Charmin tissue and again when we tried Quilted Northern. Now we stick to Scott. Have you talked to your mom about it? She might be o.k. with the Scott.

#18 ·
Rose and Soul Survivior, you'd both treading down a path of doom regarding your septic systems. While I agree that not flushing paper will decrease the frequency for which you will have to have your tanks pumped, you should both realize that there is still a build up of sludge in the tank. Don't wait until you have to have the tank pumped because of a sewage back up problem....because by then it will be too late. The back up will be due to sludge overflowing the tank and plugging your drainfield. At a minimum, open your tank and probe the depth of sludge in the tank. Instructions can be found at this website: Septic Tank Maintenance

And Soul Survivor, this is from the Minnesota Extension Service:

Septic Starters, Feeders, Cleaners and Other Additives
There is no quick fix or substitute for proper operation and regular maintenance. Do not use starters, feeders, cleaners and other additives.

! There's no such thing as a safe AND effective septic system additive. !

Starters: A starter is not needed to get the bacterial action going in the septic tank. There are naturally-occurring bacteria present in wastewater.

Feeders: It is not necessary to "feed" the system additional bacteria, yeast preparations, or other home remedies. There are millions of bacteria entering the system in normal sewage. If the bacterial activity level is low, figure out what is killing them (for example, cleaners) and correct it. High levels of activity will return after the correction.

Cleaners: Additives effective in removing solids from the septic tank will probably damage the soil treatment system. Many additives suspend the solids that would normally float to the top or settle to the bottom of the tank. This allows them to be flushed into the soil treatment system, where they clog pipes and soil pores leading to partial or complete failure of the system.

Other Additives: Additives, particularly degreasers, may contain carcinogens (cancer-causing agents) that flow directly into the groundwater along with the treated sewage.

#20 ·
I've noticed that people in the North pump out their septic tanks much more frequently than do people in the South (who may never pump them out).

It may be because southerners are such friendly, wholesome, clean-livin folks.

Year-round warmer soil temperatures might also have something to do with it. Bacteria merrily multiply and decomposition proceeds right along.

#21 ·
For the no paper in the toilet folks, have you ever tried vermiculture. If you put a worm bin in the bathroom you can put your paper products in the bin and the worms will eat them up. No smell, and no emptying or throwing in the garbage.

#22 ·
We use Cottonelle. It says it is sewer and septic system safe. It's soft, and you can get it in double rolls so you don't have to change it as often. I am amazed that it is only one ply. I grew up on two ply and vowed I would never buy one ply, but they sent a sample in the mail and that was all it took.

#23 ·
The folks that put toliet paper in the trash are, handling a BIO HAZZARD . and in most places it is illegal to put hazzardous waste in the thrash, just think how LOW LIFE that is to handle, what do you do when the dog rips the trash up ,it would make sense to flush it as it does NO harm to the system if it is working right. toliot paper is made to break down as a biological type item. the sewer plants don't have problems with toliot paper ,just condoms and tampons, and the filters from tobbacco products .

#24 ·
Folks, I'm truly shocked no one suggested this: have the other members of the household put the toilet paper in the trash! Bink, you said "we" are building a house, so it sounds like there will be at at least one other person besides our mother living with you. So it reduces your septic tank toilet paper load by at least 66%.

Also, at 84 years of age there is a good chance you won't have her living with you long enough to do any damage, especially if she is the only one using an unfortunate choice of toilet paper. So I wouldn't do anything to make her last (hopefully) decade or so too uncomfortable, emotionally or physically.

Concerning what James Dilley said: I have put my toilet paper in the trash in the past, but lately I've gotten a little lazy. My reasoning is that everyone I have ever known who used disposable diapers put them into the trash after use.
What else can you do with them? (We used cloth diapers as much as possible.)Also, what about people who use adult incontinent products like "Attends". I worked in a nursing home for a few months a few years ago, and their incontinent control products were put into the regular trash...

#25 ·
We've just been doing what the health inspector told us to do, and that was to use Ridx at least twice a year. Have no problems, and I know the system was checked about 3 years ago cause I had to replant my flower bed. And we still have the old system on the other side of the house that we could use temporarily if this one ever fails for whatever reason.

#26 ·
Beeman said:
For the no paper in the toilet folks, have you ever tried vermiculture. If you put a worm bin in the bathroom you can put your paper products in the bin and the worms will eat them up. No smell, and no emptying or throwing in the garbage.
:D Now I'm trying to imagine her reaction to a "worm bin" in the bathroom. :eek:
Though to tell the truth, I don't know what one looks like. Does it really look like a bin of worms, or a box of earth, or what?

Thank you folks for all your responses. You've given me enough ideas here so that I should be able to come up with something that will work for all of us. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.