Toyota Corolla Help needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Hello i just bought a 1991 corolla wagon and in this first week a problem has materialized that did not occur during the test drive. It has happened four or five times but has me worried as a safety issue. While driving the engine seems to lose power. It goes, slows, goes, slows, as if you were taking your foot on and off the gas quickly. So far it has only lasted maybe three or four seconds and has only occured in second and third gear at speeds between 25-35 MPH. Any ideas? Should i try some of the fuel injector cleaners on the market? Also have another question. There is some oil coming out of the valve cover where the PCV valve is. Not alot just leaves a little circle of it around the opening. My manual doesn't mention this happening so i wonder if its something to be concerned about. Incidently the PCV seems to work fine. Thanks you in advance for any help.

2. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Hi ,Put a new fuel filter in and some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank- if that doesn't do it look to your fuel pump. Daryll in NW FLA

3. I have put in some fuel injector cleaner and will soon be changing the fuel filter, although it look to be more of a pain in the neck than other filters. Anyway the problem is definately intermittant. What about the oil coming out where the pcv valve is? Problem?

4. I used to have a Toyota pickup truck (1983 model) and had a problem with symptoms exactly like the ones you describe. It went on intermittently for months before it started to be a serious problem. In the end, it was the fuel filter. I had changed the fuel filter under the hood, but I didn't realize that there was another fuel filter in the back near the gas tank (I don't know if your model has 2 as well; it's worth checking into). At any rate, the truck worked fine after I put a new filter in the back. That would be the cheapest place to start.

5. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Unregistered, I wouldn't worry about a little oil around the pvc valve-most every engine I've worked on has a little seepage around the valve due to the rubber getting hot and expanding and then cooling off and contracting. You can get a new rubber gasket that the pvc valve goes into from a dealer for about $8.00 around here. Daryll in NW FLA