Toyata matrix...Corolla....Neat little Kar...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Aug 4, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Drove by the Toyata dship today and saw this bright red and Neat little car parked out front . So. I make U-turn and cruise back to check it out.....It's a toyata matrix.....I would guess a Hot Rod Corolla....and it's like 20,118 with the dship add on for Tinted windows . But it's really a neat looking Machine......I can't afford a new anything right now but if i was looking for a small car to cruise around in that matrix would get serious consideration......

Does anybody own one of these little jewels?????...........fordy..... :eek: :)

2. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

Fordy,
    We are on our second Toyota Matrix in a year.....my husband crash tested the first one. He was doing about 45 MPH when a woman in a big ol SUV cut him off at an intersection, she was just talking on her cell phone and never did see him. It folded up like an accordian, nothing folded into the driver/passenger compartment, just the gauges fell out of the dash and the air bags deployed, probably saving my 6'3" 275lb husband.
    The second one we gave less for than the first. My husband tried to get a break on the second, he told me they wouldn't accept an offer of $17, 500 and they took it! So we got it. The great thing about it is that it gets 35 MPG, with the standard transmission and it has room for the whole family. I also have a daughter that is 6' tall at 14 Years old... plenty of room for a family trip. We actually think we have more room in the Matrix than in our Astro Van!
    I love that lil car!

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.......................thanks Emily . This model was an Auto i believe . It was locked and I didn't seek out a salesman . I could really get into that 35 mpg thing. It would be driveable even though gas is 2 a gallon. I just don't understand why we don't have a much greater availability of diesel engines in many cars here as they do in Europe . take care , fordy... :)

4. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

There will be more diesels available in America once we start using low sulphur diesel fuel. With the diesel fuel we are using now, it is too difficult to get them to pass smog tests.

5. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

We drove one as a rental. It was a fun car with lots of room and great gas millage but had lousey rear visibility. I'd seriously consider addind a backup tv system like on the big RVs. That was our only real complaint.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I wanted a truck.. but because of the gas prices, and wanting the Toyota reliablitly.... ended up with a base model auto Matrix.
    So it doesn't have all the fancy stuff some models have. It is based off the Toyota corolla wagon.

Good things about it... great gas mileage,, I can really fit 4 bales of hay in the back,, among other farm things.
    The visibility is good out of all the windows,, has great brakes.

Bad thing,, like all small engines it doesn't have a lot of power, but I am used to big 6 & 8 cylinder Trucks.. so this is new to me. But am getting used to it.

Is it worth buying,, to me yes. Some day I will get another Toyota Tundra again,, but it sure will not be anytime soon.
    I just count myself lucky we can afford a second car again.