Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
toilet paper rolls

cat toys

hanging things ... you can buy them in pet stores OR make you own - use a rabbit safe wood and hang it from the tops of the cages...my BLUE loves his! And Roxie knocks hers around all the time. They need replacing, but hey...that's what it's there for.

apple branches

cans that have sharp edges filed down (don't use in cages with kits unless they still have a base attached)

put their hay on the cages over top so they have work for it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use tuna sized cans and pill bottles with a small rock in them to rattle. They carry them all over I just watch for chewing and believe it or not most of them don't. Or bigger like vitamin bottles with a small pill bottle in it to rattle. They seem to like to make noise. I also use parrot toys. If they are safe for a big bird there is not much a rabbit can do to them.

·
Premium Member
27,842 Posts
Cardboard boxes, corn cobs, stainless steel food dishes, maple or sycamore leaves.

Does anyone give their rabbits pinecones? I've heard they can be used but I've not had any first hand experience.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cardboard boxes, corn cobs, stainless steel food dishes, maple or sycamore leaves.

Does anyone give their rabbits pinecones? I've heard they can be used but I've not had any first hand experience.
Pinecones, have TONS of them laying around, ill be waiting for the reply

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Yup, I give mine pinecones, they love to chew them and throw them around. I also give them end pieces of 2x4's that are scrap from projects I am doing, all my paper towel and toilet paper rolls.

Edited to add...and make sure any wood you use is good for bunny chewing..i.e. no plywood, pine is okay, maple is okay, apple/pear is better, cedar is not, oak/chestnut is not (though oak might be... need to check that out), skids are not,
My nestboxes are made out of plywood that the does chew on a little and each cage has a shelf in it with a piece of plywood for them to sit on that they chew up pretty good, hasn't seemed to do them any harm so far.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I agree with you, Ladysown. Rabbits will chew a bit on the nest boxes, but giving them healthier things tha plywood to gnaw is preferable. I don't think of branches so much as toys as I do food and dental care. Rabbits like chewing bark and it probably has different trace nutrients from their other greens.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Wiffle balls....there was a few in some cages I bought used and I left them there- the rabbits love pushing them and carrying them around.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I"m pretty happy with the nestboxes as they are cheap and solid to make but is there anything else I can use for the shelf? It is 12"x18" made of floor wire but I put a piece of plywood on there to give them some relief from the wire floor. If I put cardboard it will be chewed away in a day and those plastic resting mats you can get would just be tossed around. Plywood is heavy enough so they can't get it off the shelf and strong enough to last a while. I also put many other things in the cage for them to chew on, blocks of wood, toilet paper and paper towel rolls, branches, etc, so it's not the only thing for them to chew on. They love the shelf and spend most of their time sitting up there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi all! for Truckingguy: we had some old cage mat (Dri Deck) from our bird incubator (My parents used to raise Macaws). The rabbits really do like to rest on it. One square is about enough tho, because if it takes up too much floor, too much poo gets caught around it.

they chewed the plastic for the first week and quit (gave them boxes, and need to find more maple or fruit twigs!). I also noticed that with the small hardware cloth that makes the bottom of the cage (1/2 inch?), the "feet" of the Dri Deck sorta snaps in. Not sure if thats like your wire shelf or not?

Now I want to make my babies some fun toys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts