toxic foods??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Mar 4, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

On another forum some discussion came up as to whether some things many people eat are either okay in moderation, or completely toxic in one way or another. For example fiddlehead ferns and asperigus and even some brassicas can be cardcinogenic apparently.
    With such ease, we can now google and find information about anything.
    For example, coffee is a dreadful poison if you check this site:

http://www.justeatanapple.com/coffee.html

Well, I'm doomed. I've drank coffee for about 40 years now. I'm certain caffeine is an addiction, yet I choose to live with it, and actually feel personally good for doing it if I can.

Well, is there anything else that we thought was okay to eat that some expertise somewhere will write up something to tell us it will kill us?
    Is morel mushrooms next? Well, I'll be a dead duck many times over then. :(

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

start the list with oxygen

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Dihydrogenoxide is found in most foods. It has been the cause of more deaths than any other food component that I can thing of.

4. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

one of my favorite thing to make tea from is considered a carcenogen

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Monosodium glutamate, hydrolyzed anything, (those all do the same basic thing, along with "glutamic acid" and watch out for "natural flavoring" or "spice", as it is often one of the above...,hydrogenated stuff, cottonseed oil, soybean stuff is bad, high fructose corn syrup....you get the point, there is a lot to worry about if you are into the "modern" junk diet.

6. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

Cabin and Space Cadet,

I thought I'd "pile on" and put this up. My wife found this story on a teacher's group.

A student at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho
    Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we
    have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of
    everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a
    petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical
    "dihydrogen monoxide."

And for plenty of good reasons, since:

1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
    2. it is a major component in acid rain
    3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
    4. accidental inhalation can kill you
    5. it contributes to erosion
    6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
    7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.
    Forty-three (43) said yes,
    six (6) were undecided,
    and only one (1) knew that the chemical was water.

The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"

He feels the conclusion is obvious.

And here is the same story again with a student from another school: (?)

Idaho Falls, Idaho -- Dihydrogen monoxide causes thousands of drownings
    each year, leads to excessive sweating and vomiting and contributes to
    land erosion. And there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Fifteen-year-old Nathan Zohner made people aware of that fact by proving
    in his science project on critical thinking skills just how vulnerable
    people are.

Newspapers, magazines, radio and TV stations, universities, even members
    of Idaho's Congressional delegation have been calling Nathan in recent
    weeks to talk about the project that won the Greater Idaho Falls Science
    Fair in April, the Post Register reported Wednesday.

The project asked 50 ninth graders if the compound called dihydrogen
    monoxide should be banned. Forty-three said yes and six were
    undecided. Only one person was able to tell Nathan dihydrogen monoxide
    is just another name for water.

The Skyline High School sophomore said he just wanted to show how easily
    people can be misled.

"Some of my friends could have done this. It wasn't that
    extraordinary. It was just a simple science project that kind of blew
    up," he said.

Nathan got the idea after his father, Steven, a nuclear scientist at the
    Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory, brought home a
    flier from an anonymous author describing the "dangers" of dihydrogen
    monoxide.

WhiteBoard News for Friday, October 24, 1997

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Actually shows how bad our education is now....and how low someone will stoop in lying to the uneducated!

But, countless people have died from water-from bad water that is, and it is harder and harder all the time to find clean water.

However, it is best not to dismiss toxin warnings-many things in our food are bad. Don't let the rich people claiming they're safe fool you!

8. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Yeah, I've had several people tell me how terrible milk is. Well, I've been drinking the milk from our cows ever since I was old enough to remember.

I'm 74 now, and I drink at least a quart of our pasteurized, skim milk each day. Never spent a day in the hospital since I had the mumps in 1964. I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs. soakin wet.

My son sent me a printout from something called notmilk.com because he knew it would get my goat.

Everything you know about cow's milk and dairy is probably part of a
    Dairy industry MYTH! Cow's milk is an unhealthy fluid from diseased
    animals that has a wide range of dangerous and disease-causing
    substances that have a cumulative negative effect on all who consume it.

This site had me rolling on the floor laughing, because it claimed that nature intended for cows to give only 1 lb. of milk per day, that cows today eat 330 pounds of feed a day, and that the top cows today do not give more than 55 pounds of milk per day, and that only by using BST. (We had a Hereford cow give over 100 lbs. of milk on DHI test over 65 years ago.)

I drink milk, eat beef, pork and chicken, have eggs every day, use butter and I eat my fruits and vegetables every day as well. Folks, eating a candy bar or a piece of cake, a glass of milk isn't going to kill you if you do hard work every day and eat a balanced diet overall. I don't doubt that a lot of this processed food and junk food can be bad for you, but so many folks get zero exercise it's unbelievable. I think some people would drive their vehicles right through the front doors of a store if you'd let them and I've heard of kids that won't walk a couple hundred yards to get the school bus, the parents drive them there.

9. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

Colgate Total has triclosan as an ingredient.. its a pesticide.. toxic.. I developed an aweful rash from it.. gone now but so is Colgate.. back to Arm & Hammer..

KC~

10. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Anyone for Soilent Green??? :eek: :haha: :haha: :haha:

11. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

OMG! :eek:
    jackie, ya just gotta stop watching those scarry flicks. :haha:

12. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Charlton Heston Good flick!

13. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Actually milk was not meant to be pastuized and homogenized. something called zanthian oxidaise is released too soon in our gut and causes plaque build up on the arteries .The fat globules are broken down too small just to keep the creame from separating. and the high temps kill ALL the good bugs that make natural antibiotics.That is why milk now just rots.Natural milk sours and actually can be given to people that are in a sickened state.
    I grew up on raw milk doing fine.Then for about 30 yrs switched to pasturized.Seemed I had colds and flu from fall to late spring!
    I now have my goat milk,and when they dry up a certified dairy a mile away sells raw cows milk.
    For two years now ,no flu, no colds.People around here are going back to the raw milk! And only 2:60 a gallon!
    The best site I found is mercola.com

14. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Chas,
    I'm all for people eating and drinking what they want. You want to drink goat milk and raw cow's milk, that's fine with me. I'll keep drinking the milk from my own cows after pasteurizing it and skimming it. It's not homogenized nor is it vitamin D fortified, and I know with certainty the cows didn't get BST.

I think you're referring to xanthine oxidase (XO), and the link between XO and heart disease was disproven about twenty years ago. If you want to read about the erroneous reasoning that claimed to find this causal link, here's a link to a site that advocates raw milk, and they say that connection is bogus.

http://www.realmilk.com/homogenization.html

Mercola isn't an MD, and he makes a variety of claims about milk that are either inaccurate, misleading and in some cases false.

I got the flu in 1957 and again in 1974, but I decided to stick with my homegrown, pasteurized milk.

15. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

I have no problem with pasturization but I do have a problem with homoganization. I wish I could find a diary here that would sell ORGANIC non homoganized milk.

Anyway, I stay away from the man made chemicals. Here is my list of no nos.

artificial colors
    artificial flavors
    artificial sweeteners
    corn syrup
    hydrogenated vegetable oils
    nitrates/nitrites
    sulfates/sulfites
    MSG and related compounds
    refined flours
    refined sugars
    preservatives

michele

16. roncarla

roncarla Well-Known Member

Don't forget growth hormones in meat. Do you wonder why young junior high aged girls look like college girls used to? Why boys are bigger now? I wish I could afford to buy organic meat.

We avoid MSG and try to avoid all prepared foods. Of course, you can't do that and eat out occasionally. Also, no more carrageenan from commercial ice cream. I read that even Breyer's supposedly all natural ice cream may contain MSG. Breyer's won't comment. Check out www.truthinlabeling.org.

Also, Dr. Mercola's website, as previously mentioned, is a fabulous resource.

17. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

jello

i have a book on chemical additives in our food, and there is a section on artificial colors. i used to make jello every week, with fruit in it, or carrots and celery in it. i thought it was okay since it was the sugar kind, not the aspartame kind. now i'm leary of the color thing and haven't bought any.

i do have plain knox gelatin and one of these days i'm going to make an experiment in the kitchen with some orange extract flavoring i have and the plain gelatin, and see if i can get something decent out of that.

debbie

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I do try to stay away from hydrogenated fats. Those probably have more to do with heart disease than anything else in the American diet.

Basically, if your great granddaddy ate it, it is probably ok for you to eat it. When you start eating margarine instead of butter or some other godawful laboratory concoction whipped up by some agrigiant so they can pass of waste material as food don't be surprised when your body rebels.

I have some friends, well, more of acquaintances, who are really insane when I comes to food. They don't eat meat, they don't eat milk or any dairy products, they don't eat sugar, they don't eat fats, they don't eat salt, they probably don't eat anything that casts a shadow. Their poor kids are the most sickly trio I have ever seen. Always sick with some disease or syndrome. They seem to be allergic to everything peanuts, milk, wheat, dust, mythical chemicals and vapors, pollen, the wind, sunshine you name it. I feel bad for them. Not only have they probably never enjoyed a single meal in their lives but their parents won't let them do anything mildly dangerous or stimulating. Put 'em here on the farm eating real food and engaging in real boy-type fun for a few months and they would probably be immeasurably more happy and healthy.