Township,section,range

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Jul 16, 2004.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

We were looking at some property up in VT and I noticed the Legal desc is not what I'm accustomed to. No mention of Township,section, or range.

I was wondering if this is done differently in new england?

I did notice that the town names tend to encompass a larger area than they do here in the mid-west.

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Way back when....I don't know exactly when....they decided to survey the country. They did it with the townships and all that.

Before that, they used what is called "metes and bounds". It was basically a description based on landmarks in the area. Sometimes the landmark was another, already surveyed, property. A meets and bounds description can be like....100 yards from the SW corner of Farmer Smith's farm, along the creek, then west 150 yards to a large boulder, etc.

Since Vermont is "old country", I'm sure they have mostly metes and bounds.

Jena

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

If it's unorganized territory, I would assume that it's referred to by that information. In Maine, they're called things like T2R6 or T14R1. There are usually local names for the township if there are a few people inhabiting it, sometimes they're called things like "Boonie Township" or "East Gish Settlement" (making those up). But legally they're referred to by the T#R# system.

If you're talking about title descriptions, like Jena said, titles here read like local history books. Ours read something like, "From a rock wall due east of the south corner of the white barn owned by ?, extending 600' to a granite pillar 15 feet from the southwest corner of blah blah blah," (you get the idea) and everything and everyone it mentioned probably left this earth 100 years ago.

Towns in New England are often huge geographically, sometimes encompassing hundreds of square miles but with very few people. Do a search for Allagash, ME some time if that's interesting to you.

4. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Jena that is exactly what the description looks like. I had forgotten about the "mets & bounds" system.

thanks guys.