Town wont let me have pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by chma4, Nov 13, 2005.

1. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I have a farm. Not big, 12 acres. For NJ that is not bad. I would like to have a sow here, maybe piglets once a year. In my town there is an ordinance against pigs. Anyone else hear of this or have trouble with their town? I am disappointed. I like pigs, they have personality =(

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

It could be someone in the past had a very stinky way of raising pigs, and the knee jerk reaction was a ban. It could be the result of the pet pig people using potbellies, to get pigs reclassified as pets, and then by extention banning all pork production. If it's a small town, try going to a town meeting and asking what's up. They might be willing to make an exception for a maximum number of animals sort of thing

3. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Or you could get costumes for the pigs. Perhaps sheep ones. People love sheep! (kidding) :)

4. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Don't ask permission, just get the pigs. Keep them out of sight of the road, and don't ask any questions.

If the county actually comes (which they won't if no one complains) you can easily stall them for a few months, by which point you can have the pigs in the freezer.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission.

Pete

5. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

You might be able to get potbellies, since they're not really pigs, they're pets. Right? Some towns think so.

6. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

South Jersey or North Jersey? If you just want a few and have a building you have it made. Just give each a name and make them friendly with you.

Depford NJ used to have lots of hog places but I hear they are all cleaned up.

NJ is not a "Free Idea" people friendly state, the powers to be like everyone to be cut from the same cloth and look dimly on free thinkers>

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the ticket, and the gunshots people hear are just target practice right?

8. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

if the gov does get snotty look into the laws thoroughly and get everything you can to annoy which ever neighbor rats you out (one will, there's always one). guineas & peafowl come to mind. when they start putting the screws to you for something legal you can sue the local gov for violating your right to "make a living" off your farm.

9. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL I thought that only happened here...in the shire we used to live in they only allow 1 pig per 100 acres....we had 7 acres...so we had 2 hehehe...we never asked anybody or told anybody. We lived on a major tourist road and people would stop and talk to our pigs all the time, no-one ever "dobbed us in". When we decided to buy the property we now have we rang the shire (different to where our old place was) and asked what their rules were on Pigs, they said as long as they didnt get complaints from neighbors they didnt care how many pigs we had. Needless to say we were very pleased, it was 40 acres, and so got another pig. :)

10. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

George K.,
    I dont live in Newark or Jersey City. I live in a very rural area. Sussex County, Northern most part of Jersey. Its beautiful up here. Only gunshots are hunters in the woods this time of year. Beleive it or not, there are nice parts of Jersey too.

11. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Get the pigs and add a couple of geese. Anyone crabs, let the geese out. They are farm animals after all and if they snip a snot so be it!