Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dd's car has been at an impound yard since her wreck...we got a friend of ours with a trailer today and went and got the car. had to go ahead and pay the bill too. The other driver's insurance should reimburse us since dd was not at fault. storage was $10 a day, the towing was $70, and there was a $20 charge for getting the car into towing position. What the heck is that? the car is driveable. Dh drove it up onto the trailer today. It not like they had to use a wench or anything like that. And the car was towed oh maybe 10 miles or so. I think dh is in the wrong business!

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
Mandatory impound? Sounds like a good racket for those well connected, money to be made at every step. If the car was driveable, you should have been able to drive it home otherwise have had it towed, that very day, to the body shop (or storage) of choice. Other driver's insurance may pay but you end up paying too when your base rates increase (non-accident increase).

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
we paid $50 once just to have DH pulled out of the ditch/dropoff....really steep ditch....down about 20 ft, into some trees!

the roads were icy and the tow truck driver just winched him back up to the road!

Rachel

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Selena said:
Mandatory impound? Sounds like a good racket for those well connected, money to be made at every step. If the car was driveable, you should have been able to drive it home otherwise have had it towed, that very day, to the body shop (or storage) of choice. Other driver's insurance may pay but you end up paying too when your base rates increase (non-accident increase).

we could have had it towed by our choice of companies to where ever we wanted...the catch was that we had a time limit of them getting it in 30 minutes. try finding someone on July 3rd at 8:30 pm when you're out of town. Everyone we could think of that we had a number for was on vacation themselves. and given that it would take 45 minutes to get to where the car was from where we live it wasn't gonna happen. We were lucky to find someone to go get dd's dog before it was sent to the pound. And yes it is a racket. since the airbags deployed they wouldn't let her drive it either.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Selena said:
I think they have that mandatory impound here too. Its a racket for sure. The last accident I was in my van was undriveable. It was a domino falling sorta accident and my van (domino twards the end) was the only one not drivable so mine and the guy I hit were the only ones left when the police arived. I was shocked when the police officer told the tow truck driver where to tow MY van instead of asking me! I had to talk the police officer into letting my van be towed where I wanted it towed to. It sure didnt make any sence to me that I would end up paying impound fees and storage fees and what ever other fees they wanted to womp on me on top of the tow fees. The tow truck driver didnt mind because I could pay him instanly. So he graciously waved the impound charge. But then the officer decided to give me a ticket which cost as much as the impound fees. Why did I get a ticket? His words here.."because somebody has to get a ticket". So Ya to me its another money grubbing racket.
Still burns me up to this day.
~~~
Sumer

·
Banned
273 Posts
when my father died, his truck was impounded, stayed there for less than 24 hours, total fees? 359 dollars PLUS they broke the rain guard because they locked the dang keys in!

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
My hubby had an accident right on the corner on his way home one night. Since the back axle got snapped right off, we had to have it towed home... all of about 300 feet. The cost to tow it? $250!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.