toughen up teats before kidding

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Raftercat5, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

I know this sounds strange, but last spring, before my goat kidded (first freshener), I tried to toughen up her teats a little bit by gently pulling on them while she was on the stanchion eating her grain. It was winter/early spring, and I know my hands were rough and chapped, so just rubbing her teats with my rough fingers toughened her up enough so she wasn't sore when I did get to milk her after she kidded. I learned this trick when I myself was to be a new mommy (oh, so many years ago!). In Lamasse class, the nurse/teacher told us mommies-to-be to briskly rub a towel on our nipples after showering so when our babies nursed, we wouldn't crack and bleed. Sorry, guys, for being so graphic, but it's the only way to get the message across.
    - Kathy

2. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! I do that already just to get them used to me "milking" them. Now I have more of a reason!
    ~Carrie C.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

We wear bras and clothes. The goats are a-la-natural, with the wind, water, shavings, woods rubbing on their teats all the time. A karatin layer forms inside each of the teats to protect it when the doe is dry from bacteria entering the teats, make sure in your tugging you aren't milking out this substance. But other than that it's fine to do that, not sure it could really help though :) Better time spent racking the barn :) Vicki

4. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I have always handled my first fresheners teats and udder when I start graining if only to get them used to me "fiddling around" down there :rolleyes: :p . LOL.....never had to toughen up the teats though. All my FF do fine when milking. I do like to rub bagbalm or homemade lotion on their teats/udders after I am done milking and cleaning off their udder (I do spray their teats also I swear :) ). But that seems to help with chapping on their udders when just starting out or when they go out to pasture and rub those full udders on grass (OUCH!).

I had one doe who last year half way through lactation got the worst case of dry cracked teats for no reason at all :shrug: :nono: . So with her I had to rub bagbalm on her BEFORE I milked otherwise the poor gal would be kickin and moving around from it hurting (never did figure out what did that to her udder).
    (sorry that part was off topic...bad me.. :nono: )

MotherClucker

5. Raftercat5

I had one doe who last year half way through lactation got the worst case of dry cracked teats for no reason at all . So with her I had to rub bagbalm on her BEFORE I milked otherwise the poor gal would be kickin and moving around from it hurting (never did figure out what did that to her udder).
    (sorry that part was off topic...bad me.

Ouch, MotherClucker! My FF stepped on her own teat jumping eagerly up to the stanchion to get her grain last summer. She was all sore and bloody, and I had to doctor her up and milk her without touching that one side of her teat. Of course, it was right in the place where I normally put my fingers. I felt like a contortionist milking her. It wasn't easy, but she knew I was trying to be gentle, and she trusted me to do the best thing.
    - Kathy

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I could tell you about the time one of mine jumped through the barbed wire fence. :rolleyes:

7. Raftercat5

Owwww, Mary! Now you got my toes all curled up!!!!
    - Kathy