touble shooting generator

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by superduperchickenman, Apr 7, 2006.

1. superduperchickenman

superduperchickenman Well-Known Member

:duel: w generator!!! :0 I have a new 6,500 W generator, well, motors working fine but putting out low W's, will run the TV, PC, etc. but nothing major. What needs fixing or replacing?

2. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

You would think that 6500w would equal 6500va - it doesn't. Your genset may also only be able to provide peak 6500va, not continuous. This is not to say that your genset is running fine... but the specs help determine exactly what it can and cannot run.

Do you know the specifications/model of your genset? What are you trying to run that the genset won't supply power to?

cheers,

3. superduperchickenman

update, it's now working but... it has a "voltmeter"on it that registers nothing. I'm getting some info that may help me, help you, help me...

4. superduperchickenman

it's a 6,500 W peak, don't have a clue what the continous W are. I believe I was told 5,800 W when I bought it. I do not believe I overloaded it. If it's damaged in some way , how would I know? and can not produce the W's it's supposed to, how would I know? How could I test it?

5. superduperchickenman

& infooutput 110V, 220 V, 60HZ, peak output 6500W.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    this meter "V earthquake proof" barely budges when it used to show a continous 200. Maybe I'mover reacting?

6. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

It would help if we knew what you were trying to run off the generator that it couldn't power.

7. superduperchickenman

water pump, shallow water well. this is the 2nd gen like this I've owned, dealer replaced the first one due to gasoline motor problem. but 1st gen supplied plenty of power to the pump, worked just fine. I've a smaller "sears craftsman" unit that works on this pump fine. It's a Red Jacket shallow well water pump. After I shut down the gen unit I restarted it and ran the water pump just fine. but earlier this morning power to pump switched off, & Volt meter quit working. I did not try to run pump at that time, just tried the PC & made the first post. After posting I turned unit off and needin water I turned gen back on and tried it.
    got water :) but meter now not working.

8. justmyluk

justmyluk Well-Known Member

I notice from the picture that the two breakers are tied together. Try flipping them off and then back on again. Sometimes when a duel breaker trips, only one side trips and doesn't throw the other side. They look like there on but one maybe tripped. If that doesn't work, look for a blown fuse. Just a thought.

9. dodgetkboy78

dodgetkboy78 Active Member

Could you get me the brand, model, and SER# off of your generator? There are all kinds of types...............
    Also, you are running 110V, do you have your switch on 110V?
    If not, you are only getting half of your rated watts on your 110 plugs.

BTW, the brand of the alternator itself, not the unit brand
    There might be a rectifier in there, or something simple that went bad.

10. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

Whip them chickens a bit harder. Might try to increase their vitamins also.

11. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

the first thing I would do is try to get manual for the unit, and follow it's trouble shooting procedures,

and second is to get a volt meter and check the plug and see if there is voltage on one side or the other plug, and if there is not then probably take to some one who understands the units for repair, (if your asking my guess is you are not of understanding to be able to start to check the insides of the unit),
    but if there is not voltage and there are no lose connections, then my guess the voltage control or a diode went out, if you have voltage on halve and not the other half, of the generator, (would probably show voltage on one plug and not the other) then I would check for a broken or bad connection, some where, if it is generating some voltage then it probably has residual voltage, if not follow the manual most of the time one can regain the residual voltage in the field of the generator buy using a 12 to 30 volt dc (normaly) and touching two field leads in the generator and it re magnetize the unit so it will energize the alternator , but you will need the manual or knowledge of the unit to do this correctly, if done wrong it could blast the voltage controller,
    [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=residual+voltage+alternator+restoring+[/ame]
    there are a number of pages of various generator manufactors that can explane more on the procedure,

if the unit has been setting for a few years it can lose the residual buy jsut setting,

IF mice have got in to it any thing could be the problem,

12. superduperchickenman

reading your post sometime today. TY so much.