Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently turned 18 and noticed a ton of really cheap houses near me that are unlivable due to like structure damage etc. Would i make any money just selling the copper and fusebox?
(Edit. Yeah that looks confusing but im talking about buying then first!)

I searched this same question on google and it led me to this site please just some advice from people who know a rhing or two because i do not 😅

(Thank you for your time)

· Saltine American
8,538 Posts
Scrap metal has some value depending on the type of scrap. You would have to consider the cost to buy the houses or bail money to arrive at your net profit or loss.

· Registered
12,302 Posts
Are there no alternatives in your area other than stealing?

Reactions: Cordelia21

· Premium Member
23,117 Posts
Recently turned 18 and noticed a ton of really cheap houses near me that are unlivable due to like structure damage etc. Would i make any money just selling the copper and fusebox?

I searched this same question on google and it led me to this site please just some advice from people who know a rhing or two because i do not 😅

Are you planning to purchase or pilfer?

If you're planning to purchase a house (or many houses), there would be more money, I think, in rehabbing them for rental units, or to sell as starter homes. This would also help to resuscitate a dying neighborhood.

If you're planning to steal what few (if any) assets remain in the houses, that's not only illegal. It is immoral.

Now, however, I am wondering if you're a creative sock puppet, looking to boost posts...

· zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,755 Posts
In my area, any abandoned house is targeted by thieves. As a result, the cops are on high alert for that activity.

If you speak with the county tax office, you might be able to purchase the house for $1,000. Then rehab it and bring it up to code, for resale. If you can buy it for $1,000 and sell it for $100k now there is a profit.

· Registered
1,936 Posts
In my area, any abandoned house is targeted by thieves. As a result, the cops are on high alert for that activity.

If you speak with the county tax office, you might be able to purchase the house for $1,000. Then rehab it and bring it up to code, for resale. If you can buy it for $1,000 and sell it for $100k now there is a profit.
You forget the $120,000 to do the repairs at todays prices.

· Registered
4,907 Posts

No, you won't make any money from being a petty thief. You'll come out a dead-beat loser and be a criminal ending up in a real jail, not in juvie. You're already half way there to jail now just from thinking like a criminal.

Smarten up.

· Premium Member
41,414 Posts
Selling a
No, you won't make any money from being a petty thief. You'll come out a dead-beat loser and be a criminal ending up in a real jail, not in juvie. You're already half way there to jail now just from thinking like a criminal.

Smarten up.

All of the copper, fuse box and other possible materials prolly won’t bring enough to make half of minimum wage. Buying the house, fixing it up offers much better chance at making money. (Not counting improving your skill set) As with any endeavor there are no guarantees.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thats exactly what im talking about exept the houses are like less than 500$, my thinking is if i own it is it legal to strip it for everything i can get then like, give it back?? I have no money going into this for reno.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Smarten up.

Please re read im talking about buying cheap properties for hundreds of dollars and selling the parts, not stealing copper and fuseboxes those were just the two obvious ones in my head

(Not a theif, just not rich enough to renovate)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you planning to purchase or pilfer?

If you're planning to purchase a house (or many houses), there would be more money, I think, in rehabbing them for rental units, or to sell as starter homes. This would also help to resuscitate a dying neighborhood.

If you're planning to steal what few (if any) assets remain in the houses, that's not only illegal. It is immoral.

Now, however, I am wondering if you're a creative sock puppet, looking to boost posts...
Talking about buying abandoned houses from the state!!

· Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,161 Posts
Some older houses have aluminum wiring, not copper. Stripping houses and old air conditioners for copper has been done for years.

I suggest you gather more information about one house, inspect it, find out all the steps and expenses involved to purchase it, what liability you will have to the city and county while you own it, and then make a decision.

There are expenses involved in purchasing a property other than the purchase price.

You could be liable for cleaning up the property. If the property was a crack house, the costs could be prohibitive.

If someone is injured on the property while you own it, you could be liable/responsible for their injuries.

Fuse boxes have little value. Used breaker boxes, you will have to research whether they have value.

In your location, would you have to have a license and get permits to do the type of work you are thinking about?

· Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,758 Posts
Flint, Michigan is a depressed area. Many homes have been abandoned. Non-payment of taxes and they revert to the government. A friend, a residential contractor was hired to fix them up, make them liveable and then the city would sell them. An attempt to reduce blight.
All the plumbing was outdated, the electrical not up to code. No insulation. All the walls, woodwork and window frames had lead paint. So, each house had to be stripped to the studs and rebuilt. A medium size home cost $100,000 to "remodel". They were then appraised for $80,000 and sold for $60,000.
How many deals like that can you afford?
Detroit Michigan has countless vacant homes. Many have been burned. Most have been stripped of plumbing, furnaces, wiring. The city is tearing down 200 homes every week, hauling away the structure and back filling the basements. This will go in for the next 15 years.

· Registered
4,325 Posts
Keep in mind that many people that have money to invest in home repair and sale have apparently passed on working on the properties your looking at. Even to do your idea has some risk. Once its in your name your responsible for the property, any accidents on it, any liability coming from it. Even if you abandon it, or walk away from it, or give it back, your name has been involved. I would be extremely worried about something coming back to bite me on the butt at a later day.

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
when a house is 500 dollars the catch is typically that they owe the city a BUNCH of back taxes or the city has the tax rate set on that property and you have to pay it

this was the case in Detroit , 2009-2011 you could buy foreclosed and un-inhabitable houses for almost nothing , but you had to pay the taxes for the year and that could be 4K easily and they wanted that 4K every year even if you tore the house down to make a nice big yard. for the one house you fixed up and lived in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts