Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked with a guy that owned a garage door company that he ran on the side. One tip he gave me, after my torsion spring broke in two, was to dribble some oil along the width of the spring, then run the door up and down a few times. Unlike a spring that expands and contracts, a torsion twists ( obviously). Point is if that spring gets dry and rusted, as most do, it’s fighting itself to get the garage door up and down. I’ve done this every few years, for the last 20 or so years, and haven’t lost a spring since. :)
You’d be amazed at how much quieter and smoother it operates after, if it’s rusty and dry to begin with.
Shade Wood Line Electricity Fixture

· Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
3,627 Posts
Good tip OP. I'm wondering if some kind of aerosol spray grease (maybe white lithium) would be good for that.

I have sprayed mine with WD-40 a time or two. It got rusty and wouldn't let the door all the way down to the floor. I worked on it until I got it to close.

Reactions: 67drake

· Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good tip OP. I'm wondering if some kind of aerosol spray grease (maybe white lithium) would be good for that.

I have sprayed mine with WD-40 a time or two. It got rusty and wouldn't let the door all the way down to the floor. I worked on it until I got it to close.
I would think white lithium in a can would work fine. WD40 tends to evaporate away in a few weeks. JMO

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
WD-40 is a lot of solvent and a little bit of oil , then it turns to varnish when it eveporates.

grease early would be very good it stays put if you wiped it down with some Lucas red & tacky #2 before you wound it tight you might never need anything else

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
K1 and AFT 50/50 do quite well for most anything you would use WD-40 for other than maybe cleaning labels off jars.

the WD-40 spray bottles they sold were good for holding this mixture

the non aerisol bottles have the pump spray trigger and the extra fill cap

mix up your K1 and ATF in quart bottles and you have a long supply of spray lube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts