Tornadoes in VA,NC,SC, and TN?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Apr 2, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Hi,my wife,daughter and I are looking for a place to move to,we currently live in NJ.We're thinking about either VT,NH,WI or Westerm VA,NC,SC or eastern TN.One of the criteria is no tornadoes.I know they can happen anywhere but how common are they in the southern states I listed?I seem to remember hearing about them in these states on a fairly regular basis.Thankyou for any help,BASIC.

2. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

I live in Western N.C. and we have tornadoes.. once evry ten years, actually in all the 30 years I have been here we had only two. No one was killed, but we still find debris in the middle of nowhere, you will be hiking and a large piece of tin etc.. The mountains help protect us here. Marty.

3. katie_tn

katie_tn New Member

I live in middle Tennessee and we haven't had a tornado here in a really long time. We have stormy weather but thats probably because of the hills, but it is SO PRETTY here in Tennessee, hillls and forests, and it's pretty much country everywhere. I wouldn't live anywhere else!!

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

We've had them here in E. TN the last few years. I know Jackson, Tn got hit hard last year.

5. Senior

Senior Active Member

West Tenn gets a lot of Tornadoes, used to live just north of Memphis. In East Tn now, and very few tornadoes but every once in a while, one will sneak in. The higher altitude helps to stop them or slow them down. Tornadoes love flat ground, mtn's break them up.

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I can relate to your concern.Every time the wind picks up i get worried.I'm not real sure why.I no my odds are better at winning the lottery but hey you never no when ya might just get lucky or unlucky right!
    I live in Clarksville TN (Middle TN).Ya no the one that lost its down town area and court house a few years back.My mom was working third shift in a building that was pretty much gone from around her that night.If it hadn't been for a very heavy work bench she would have been gone also.Good thing she didn't hear it coming or she would have gotten into her pickup which was parked in the building.It was smashed flat by a concrete block wall.But yet they still do not scare her one bit.She says she respects them. ;)

Anyway given the invents (earthquakes/floods/fires/volcanos/hurricanes)that happen in other parts of the states i don't think we have it all that bad here. ;)

7. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter