Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michigan had 4 tornadoes on Labor Day.
Closest one was about 7 miles away . . . . . .
I didn't even have too shut down my wind turbines.
TV news to day is full of storm damage pixs.
Thankfully the storms did not hit any small towns.
A smile on the face when the locals were jumping in and helping each other.
No FEMA needed or wanted.....

Will say an extra thanks to my higher power for being spared...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Glad you faired well!

I agree with the FRe.Ma opinion and so do most of the folks around here. This past summer we had a small twister ravage a little town here about 6 miles from my house. I got a text to pack saw, gas and haul &*(# . I got there about 2 hours after the event, (i first checked my sisters place and my dads place)

It was like an army descended upon that town and they very nearly had all the big trees already cleared from the roads, firewood piled everywhere! Its an agricultural based town so there were Tractors, loaders, trucks, Bobcats, everywhere. FREma could never have responded as quickly nor even close to as efficiently the local folk took care of business. As many folks out in the streets cleaning up as there are during the fall festival!!! Some folks didn't own a saw but owned rakes, shovels, leaf blowers.

Heart warming, but what else would you expect. These folks were not "victims" of a tornado as the news media puts it, they were survivors, and it was time to clean up and get back to life, we got a baseball game Saturday to play!! LOLOL

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Glad to hear that you faired well also!

It all comes down to the mindset of the people in the area. If they feel helpless, they're going to be helpless.

A couple of years after we moved here, the town flooded. 80% of the businesses damaged and closed down. I took the kids down the following morning to volunteer for clean up and it did my heart good to see so many folks there pitching in to get everything back in order. If FEMA would have showed up, they'd have just been in the way. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts