Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I checked the Sights on both my Muzzleloaders before it started raining.

One is a 50Cal. CVA Staghorn.The other is a 54Cal. CVA Hawken.The only thing I really like about the Staghorn is I can see the Sights better in Low Light.

Here is the Staghorn,240Gr. Cheapshot Sabot pushed by 100gr. Pyrodex at 100 yards.

Here is the Hawken,Patch and Ball,pushed by 90Gr. Pyrodex at 100 yards.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Yep, I agree that the older I get, the more important it is to see! While both guns perform well, I also would go with the best sights. It means everything to making a good shot.

brownegg

·
Registered
130 Posts
I still love the patch and ball. Must be the history teacher in me. I too have trouble seeing, now that my 50 year old eyes ain't what they used to be. I put a touch of white paint on the forward sight and it sure helped in aiming my 50cal. Hawken.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Some good shooting Rock...It looks like you are ready to go get some meat. If you are like me, I like a rifle I really have confidence in. Makes me shoot better in the excitement of drawing down on game. I feel certain there is a paint on, or epoxy on sight covering that will cause the sight picture to jump out bold for you.

I think I need a 50 cal. Hawkin if it would shoot like yours. How long does it take in still air for the smoke to clear so you can see what you hit?...Glen

·
If I need a Shelter
21,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long does it take in still air for the smoke to clear so you can see what you hit?...Glen
Takes a Long time some times.All I might see is a bit of White from the Belly.

big rockpile

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you are shooting like that with both rifles, go with the one that will give you the best sight picture in the conditions you expect to have when you take the shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts