TopBar Modifications???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by KSALguy, May 23, 2006.

1. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i got to thinking about how fragil a topbar hive come is and wonderd ifyou could make some modifications?
    i was thinking if made a wood frame very simply with wood cut at the same angle as the comb is made anyway, maybe even leaving the bottom still open, you could make the frams about the same size as the ones used in the other more traditional hives just with the angle tapering down,
    also would the bees form the hive over a couple wires if they were placed inside the simple frame?
    this way you can still have the easier TopBar hive but with more stable comb that can be reused instead of haveing to have the bees make new comb all the time???

2. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Ive wondered that to,there needs to be something to support the comb on the frame for more manuplation ablity of moving frames with combs with out worrying about the comb being so delicate of falling off the frame.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

ok so how about this, say you got the measurments all correct for the angle so that they dont build burr comb to the sides and you have the support pieces in place with wire between to help hold everything togather,
    could you then take some bees wax just in a solid sheet and put it into the frame, eather by melting it and haveing it set up inside the frame, or by makeing it soft and pressing it in so that the wires are inside nicely and then soften the edges enough to bond to the beveld edge of the wooden frame,
    would the bees then draw that out and make their comb from all that wax or would there be too much extra or am i just complicateing the issue??????

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

A full sheet of wax without the cell pattern won't work, if I remember correctly. What you're looking for sounds like a foundationless frame. I'm using them in my Langstroth hives.

5. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

Why not take a metal coathanger and secure it upsidedown to the topbar? If you need to manipulate the shape, it bends and you could add more wire if it needed to be bigger with those ring clips for puting cages together. Splice them together.

If you make yours like I do, you run your boards across a table saw and insert a small flat in the cut and glue it. Just slip the base of the coathanger in the cut before the wood slat and adjust the size of it to fit in the coathanger... ?

Ah, I missed this part. My idea wont work for re-usable comb.

6. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Also, there is a top bar extractor out now. Re-use those combs!