Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited 5 meat rabbits and I’m learning as I go. I prefer all wire cages and I’m in the process of building my first double cage for the two bucks. I’m leaning toward cage doors that hinge on the bottom and drop down. All of my cages will be single tier.
My question is: has anyone ever made a top opening cage? Why or why not?

Thanks for any input!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,772 Posts
I have top opening cages now. They sit lower than most hanging cages. I like them because you have access to the inside, and the bunnies can’t get out when you are filling feeders, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have top opening cages now. They sit lower than most hanging cages. I like them because you have access to the inside, and the bunnies can’t get out when you are filling feeders, etc.
Did you build them yourself? Could you post a photo Alice?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
All my main ones are top open in the middle of the cages. The doors are big enough to get the nesting boxes in and Open up. Would Not want them any other way.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I don't have rabbits, but I use similar cages for chickens.
I like the top door.
I cut my wire pieces to size and clip the edges together with what we call are pig nose rings.
You can get the rings and the tool very..very inexpensive. You don't need the tool. but if you are going to be making more than just one or two cages, it makes it more convenient.

·
39,772 Posts
I don’t know why some pics post sideways when I didn’t take them sideways.

My friend who has these bought bunnies before having cages ready. This is a “temporary solution.”
ED200D87-FB54-413E-8842-F4308924281E.jpeg

·
39,772 Posts
Our cages are more like rabbit tractors. We move them every couple of days.

We are pondering putting wire on the bottom, too, which will impede their grazing, but will prevent escapees. This pic is the third day of the Cannonbunny Run. She is sitting next to my cucumber fence
0006BE12-48AC-4F5B-B893-E2FC317D423A.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts