Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fresh green beans from the garden can’t be beat, but second best is preserving them and having them with a hot dinner on a cold winter day!

Canned green beans will last for years, pickled will last up to a year and lacto fermentation will allow you to store your green beans up to 6-8 months depending on how cool you store them.

In this tutorial I cover how to preserve green beans fresh from the garden using our 3 favorite preservation methods. Canning, pickling and lacto-fermenting!

When canning, you can do them plain or add garlic like we did in this video. Some people even add a slice of bacon to their jars.

Pickling, we did dilly beans. They are some of our favorites to snack on! Crisp with a bite from the vinegar.

The biggest perk to lacto-fermentation is the billions of good probiotics you get, plus the flavor is off the chart!

You can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned methods. They are all a healthy alternative to commercially grown and processed beans you get from the store.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I can some of my beans but I preserve most of mine by a method you didn't list... leather britches. It's fast, easy, cheap and delicious. All you need is a strong thread/thin string, a heavy sewing needle and your beans.

Rinse your green beans and let dry. Thread your needle. Run the needle through the middle of the first bean, wrap thread around bean a couple of times and tie in a knot to keep subsequent bean rom sliding off. String on more beans (no need to wrap or tie) until you have a length of about three feet. Tie a loop in top of string and hang in a warm, dry spot to dry (an attic or unused room, etc.)

To cook, rinse to remove dust, remove thread/string and place beans in enough water to cover by an inch or so. Add salt and pepper to taste and boil until tender. To make them even better throw in a smoked ham hock, jowl or some side meat and a large rough chopped onion. Serve with cornbread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts