Top 100 Rural PLaces

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CraftyDiva, Apr 7, 2005.

1. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Phew, I always breath a big sigh of relief when my area isn't on somebody's "best" list. There's no surer way to ruin an area than to have some fool(s) in the media proclaim it the best place to live :)

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

it looks to me likethe ones the list were near metropolitan areas, and retaining their rural flavor, while turning into subdivisions and small farms.

4. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

:haha: :haha: :haha:

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Dang... Vermont made the list :-(

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Michigan had 3 counties and most people couldn't afford to live in any of them.

mikell

7. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

Well aparently there is only one good place to live in Tn, and it's no where near me! :D

The reason my land was so afordable is because the nearest indoor mall is over 50 miles away.

8. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I knew there was a good reason why I stopped my subscription to Progressive Farmer. They ratted out my favorite county - Bloody Fools! :waa:

We really did stop taking the magazine, though. They seem to be having trouble deciding who their target audience is...
    kind of a farmy-cum-yuppy thing going on there.

9. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Our county is no. 28...odd thing is it is almost impossible to find anything bigger than an acre here and this is the fastest growing county in SC and one of the fastest growing in the nation...

Which means it is about the exact opposite of what those wanting to live the rural life...

Hmmm.

I notice there were hardly any counties in NC...GOOD.

10. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Only 3 counties west of the Great Plains?! And none at all in WA or OR? Seems awfully biased towards the east. No matter -- like everyone says, it is better not to be so classified.

11. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

Phew! Dodged that on, thank goodness.

12. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Fauquier County, VA is number 1? You have to be a millionaire to live there! :eek:

13. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

---------------------------------------
    Over the past few years Bellingham, WA made countless top 10 lists as THE place to live. It has in a few short years become the number one place to leave.
    Jeff

14. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Berkshire Co, MA? My god, you can't find an COTTAGE there for under 200K unless it's in downtown Pittsfield- then you might find one for 150K.

Those people are nuts!

15. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

When I first saw the article in Progressive Farmer I was thinking Wow this is great because I am trying to figure out where to retire to which I expect to be able to do in about five and a half years. But, since I live two miles from Fauquier County, VA it allowed me to understand a bit more about what their criteria was. Their website lists their criteria and it is really geared to what I would call a Gentleman farmer. I define that as someone who has a lot of money and just wants to dabble in farming. Their choices are really geared to people who have a significant income and want land but want all of the amenities as well, kind of like taking the good things from the city and moving them to the country and living a city-type life there.

Since my criteria is finding a place that has as much land as possible at a reasonable price that will allow me a quiet retirement, their choices aren't for me. Since I will have a good retirement income, I don't need good places to work close by. I don't have children so I won't care about the quality of the schools. I grow most of my own food and hate to do any other kind of shopping so I don't need to be near shopping malls. I just want to have a beautiful view to look at and nice soil to garden in and I will be happy. If I can find it on a lake then I will be ecstatic. If anybody knows a place like this, particularly in the Southern half of the U.S. please let me know. I'm doing my research now and plan to take trips to find the right location soon.
    Colleen

16. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm turning my sights back towards PA and KY, niether of which made the list!

When I was a kid Ontario county NY #22, was a great place to go hunting. It was mostly small towns and farmland in the fingerlakes region. Again, like the other places mentioned by others, it's now a place where $300K + houses are the norm and anything with land will set you back more than the average person could afford.

17. kz

kz Well-Known Member

20 counties in my state (Wisconsin) made the list. I always knew Wisconsin was a great place to live but I didn't realize it was that great!

18. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

Yeah. Progressive Farmer seems to cater to millionaire's lately. Did you see the barn that was built in last months issue?

19. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

wow my county dodged the bullet, but the three counties they listed for GA - man you better have some real money to live there - Fayette is one of the fastest growing counties near Atlanta, and costs mega bucks to even rent there -
    Forsyth and Newton - good luck finding acreage you can afford there either -

Glad they made the list though and not my county!

Sidepasser

20. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

I live in one of the counties and I can tell y'all what's going on. For most of my life this has been a quiet place with one bigger city and then a few smaller towns. Now, they are building houses that start at $300,000 and up. They are Mcmansions of course. Some even have 1-2 acres with them. My property tax started at $40.00 the first year and now is up to $2,500 for 6 acres with house and pole building on it. This is on the side of a mountain and nothing is level. I paid $20,000 for it. With our improvments it's now been appraised at over $500,000. If someone comes up and makes me a good offer, I gone.
    There are way too many people here and they won't stop coming.
    Laura LYnn