Tooth-ache

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Donna-6, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Donna-6

Donna-6 Well-Known Member

Does any one know something for a tooth-ache that works.Need something that kills the nerve. Have tried every thing possible.

2. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Oil of Clove.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Chewing tobacco kills the nerves.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I've had my share of toothaches. In one situation I found that I needed a root canal and in another my tooth was cracked all the way through. In both cases, there was significant infection and drama.

I'd suggest soaking your gums with brandy. Just take a swig and let it sit in your mouth for a while. The alcohol wil result in pain relief (gum numbness) and will kill the infection.

Forget going to a dentist, they are out to make money and will likely overcharge.

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

ONG good luck I have been there so many times. Once I had to go to the hospital, it hurt so bad. And this was right after the novocane wore off from a filling! Drink yourself silly, beg a dentist to get you something. I find that when it is THAT bad no pain med helps, it is antibiotics I need. My poor dentist, I showed up on his deck one saturday morning to get help and drugs while I was waiting for a root canal.
    If it is the nerve, you need antibiotics. Find a doc to give you some, you don't really need a dentist for that. TG for my doc friend.

7. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

go to the dentist, my co-workers brother died from an infected tooth.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

If you have swelling you have an infection & you need antibiotics. My suggestion of Oil of Cloves was just for temporary relief of minor toothache pain, such as a loose filling untill you can get in to see a dentist. Another over-the-counter pain reliever is Ora-Gel. But If you have swelling & throbbing pain, you need prescription drugs.

9. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois

10. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I use clove oil...but be very careful with it. Only put a little where it's needed...apparantly,it "kills" the nerves temporarily,really does work well.

11. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

To reduce the pain, try a clove of garlic.

12. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Toothache can only be fixed permanently by repairing the tooth or by removing it. Both are jobs for a dentist. To ignore the problem, is to prolong your agony and to risk serious infection, beginning in your mouth, then affecting the entire body - the solution to which could be far more expensive in the long run than a dental consultation! Funerals don't come cheap.

However, you can temporarily relieve the pain while you wait for your appointment, by one or other of the following methods:

Make your own toothbrush by chewing the root or slim stem of Prickly Ash. Use as a brush several times a day. It will also relieve a toothache and promote the flow of saliva.

Place a few mashed Catnip leaves onto an aching tooth for fast relief of pain. Or moisten a finger or a piece of cloth with water and dip into some powdered, dried Catnip leaves and hold firmly against the tooth, or rub onto the gum.

Soak a piece of cloth in Lime juice and apply to an aching tooth for relief of pain. Leave on for about 5 minutes.

Press gently but firmly on the sides of either index finger opposite the base of the fingernail.

Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 2 tablespoons of finely chopped Turnip and boil for 15 minutes. Rinse the mouth with the warm liquid.

A tooth powder made of burnt Mango leaves is beneficial in relieving toothache.

A tea made from fresh Mango flowers acts as an astringent, soothes inflammation and relieves pain. Use as a mouthwash, but do not drink it as a tea.

Boil half a teaspoon or a small piece of Asafoetida in a cupful of water and gargle with it 2-3 times a day. Remove the piece, which will have softened, and place it in the cavity of the inflamed tooth. Keep it there for as long as you comfortably can, then remove it by gargling with warm water.

A spoonful of fresh Onion juice, made from spring Onions, white Onions, or Onion flowers, is beneficial. However, a mixture made from fresh Onions and Onion flowers has more medicinal value. Dip a swab of cottonwool in the fresh juice, and then' plug the 'complaining' tooth with it. Gargle with warm water.

Powder fine green Cardamom seeds, dried Ginger and Liquorice separately. Take a pinch of each, and make a paste with a few drops of honey. Apply it on the surface of the painful tooth. Leave it there for a few minutes and then wash it down with water.

Fry a teaspoon of cloves in Mustard or Coconut or Sesame oil. Remove the cloves from the oil and powder them. Apply it on the affected tooth. This is good as a gum massage too.

Chew a few leaves of Yarrow. Or use Yarrow tea as a mouthwash which is also good for gum infections.

Place several drops of Vanilla essence directly on the affected tooth.

Boil together some vinegar, Tansy, Onion and a few Peppercorns. Strain off liquid and place it onto the inflamed gum or aching tooth.

Chew on a leaf of the Cashew tree.

Chew on some French Tarragon root, or place a little close to the offending tooth.

Drink a tea made with Fennel leaves and seeds, or use the tea as a mouthwash.

Drink a cup of Lavender flower tea, or use the tea as a mouthwash.

Drink a cup of Lemon Balm leaf tea, or use the tea as a mouthwash.

Drink a tea made from the leaves and/or flowers of Marjoram or Oregano, and use it also as a mouthwash.

Place a Clove, or dab some Clove oil, on and around the offending tooth, or chew some Juniper berries.

Apply a crushed Garlic bulb to the gum above the tooth to deaden the pain.

Gargle with Peppermint tea with a little salt added.

Bring 1 litre of water to the boil, add 2-3 heaped tablespoons finely cohpped Apple tree bark. Cover and simmer slowly for about 10 minutes, remove from heat and leave for about 40 minutes. Strain and store in the fridge. Drink 1 cup of the warm liquid, swishing it around the mouth before swallowing to ease toothache.

13. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Go to the dentist, please. Once I cracked a molar on a popcorn pit. Went to the dentist, who said I need a crown...come back in how many weeks, but in the meantime while waiting for my appointment, I ended up with a severe life-threatening blood infection. I have never been that ill in my life, although it was a wonderful way to loose weight I didn't even need to loose. It took months of antibiotic, and I also couldn't open my mouth to eat for months. Just do it. Cinnamon is supposed to have anti-bacterial properties, though. Deb

14. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

A visit to the dentist is the best way to get rid of a toothache. But if for whatever reason that is not possible then you can try what we do around here. We take 2 Nuprin every 4 hours for the pain. Then we use Anbesol extra strength right on the tooth or on the problem area to numb it. In September I had a really bad toothache and it was too far from our payday for a dentists' visit. I could find nothing wrong with the tooth but it hurt bad. I took the Anbesol on my finger and rubbed it all around on the gum at the base of the tooth as well as all over the tooth itself. I felt the nerve start to jump around wildly then the pain stopped and hasn't come back as yet! I doubt that I killed the nerve but it sure calmed it in a hurry.

15. heidith

heidith Well-Known Member

Take several cloves and warm them in honey. Take a teaspoonful of the honey with some cloves in it. Swallow the honey. Gently press the cloves on and around the tooth for several minutes. The area will become numb and both honey and cloves will inhibit the growth of bacteria and help to reduce the infection/inflammation.

16. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Forget any home remedy and get yourself to a dentist. As others here have said this could lead to a life threatening infection. Sure you'll get raped, cost wise, but maybe you'll get kissed first ;)

BTW, if you can spare it, I'd have it yanked rather than capped, gold plated, rooted, or whatever else the demon, I mean dentist, wants to sell you.

17. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Go to the dentist and get the tooth pulled.

Don't waste your money on root canals. I've had them, and still need to get the tooth pulled because the root canal "failed". The dentist actually wanted me to have the root canal done again for another thousand bucks!

It's only in the last 20 years that humans have started dying with a mouth full of teeth.

Pete.

18. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A root canal is expensive.

Having it pulled is not too expensive.

19. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I usually use a clove. Just take a clove out of the spice bottle, pop it in the mouth and bite down. It will numb the tooth. While I am doing that I usually take collidial silver for any infection, echinacea, vit C and all that.
    I have had a couple of teeth pulled by the dentist, pulled a broken one myself (now that hurts!) and in general I think root canals are a waste of money. To each his own. I dont care for docs, and dont like to finance their porshe. :cool:
    Do keep infection away, and it can be done with/without antibodies the infection is what kills people, not the tooth ache. Any infection from anything can get rampant and kill a person. Why we should live healthy lives, eat right, take our vitamins, etc etc.... :soap:
    ok off the soap box for now

20. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

The dentist in our area drives around in a bright red Ferrari---and that is his fun car! You should see his others.