Tooth abcess leaking pus out of eye

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by candyknitter, May 3, 2017.

1. candyknitter

candyknitter Well-Known Member

We have an elderly bunny (11) who started getting a gunky eye last Friday. I bathed it in cooled boiled water but his face became swollen to the point he could no longer close his eye. I took him to the vet and they looked in his mouth and said it's not an eye problem, but rather he's missing a tooth and has an abcess in the hole. They gave him artificial tears eyedrops, pain killers and a probiotics and said they would get in an injectable antibiotic for him, but it hasn't come in yet as it's on back order. Does anyone have any experience of this in bunnies? Is there anything I can do at home or any natural antibiotic I could try?

2. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

It's not natural, it may not come in any sooner than what the vet ordered, and I don't know if you can get it in the UK or not, but you might try Fish Mox. It's the same amoxicillin as humans take and you can order it online. For fish, you take the capsule apart and dump it in the water, I don't know why you couldn't do the same for a rabbit, just being careful not to give him too much. http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.php/fish-mox-amoxicillin.html Shop around for it because there's a wide variety of prices and it usually comes in 250mg and 500mg capsules. You might ask Caprice Acres about it as she's studying to be a vet and could probably give you more info as to whether it'd be useful and not harmful. Whatever amount you give the rabbit, I'm guessing you'd give it to him for a week or 10 days like a human to make sure you get the infection and it doesn't come back. Don't know if this'll help or not, but hope your rabbit gets better!

3. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, forgot..... I guess you could always try apple cider vinegar in the water for something natural. Don't know that it'll help anything, but it won't hurt and a lot of folks think it's pretty much a cure-all for anything. :)

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

I'm surprised a vet didn't have anything that could be used.
    I'd try some LA-200 or even Penicillin rather than wait

5. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

I wonder if silver hydrosol would help? AKA collodial silver

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Rabbits, being hind gut fermenters, are very sensitive to antibiotics. They're also considered 'exotics' in the veterinary world and approved drugs are few and far between. With likely few rabbit clients, I'd be surprised if they did have all the antibiotics needed on hand.

If the abscess is draining, that is actually a good sign. Hopefully you've gotten your antibiotics to start by now, but if not and especially if things are getting worse or its showing signs of pain, I'd call the vet again.

7. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Well-Known Member

"Rabbits, being hind gut fermenters, are very sensitive to antibiotics. They're also considered 'exotics' in the veterinary world and approved drugs are few and far between. With likely few rabbit clients, I'd be surprised if they did have all the antibiotics needed on hand. "

This. The safest broad spectrum antibotic you can obtain for rabbits is injectable Penicillin G, and this is a subcutaneous injection so it's easy to give. You will want to give probiotics at the same time in the water. I give Probios, but any broad-species probiotic should work. Most digestive bacteria is shared from animal to animal. Hay can also help stabilize their stomachs.