Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your "go to" dispatching and dressing tools?

Here is what mine look like... my Schwartz bunny whacker does the dispatching job for me. I am very pleased with the clean, humane way it works.

My 1" thick chopping board gives me the solid base to dress the bunnies. I don't hang them but just do it horizontally. The Remington gut hook knife is working at about 80 percent of what I wanted so that may change out soon.

My cheap Chicago cutlery kitchen shears come in quite handy for all kinds of work around the bunny.

There are very few butchering problems that can't be solved with a 3-lb cleaver so that stays close by when I am working.

The offal/hides/heads goes into the pan for later disposal in the compost pile.

All the bunnies go into the coleman cooler after processing. I keep them on ice water to cool down and get ready for the wife to do the final processing of cleaning up loose bits that I missed and prepping them for the freezer.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Schwartz bunny whacker-----I don't get it. I shoot mine and would like an easier way. I am not strong enough any more to whack 'em.

Could you explain, please.
I use a grambrel [cross tree from an old buggy wagon to hang them for skinning].

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I use a homemade version of the "Rabbit Wringer" and a small knife with a 1 5/8 blade. I have never seen the need for anything bigger or any shears, rabbit is hung with a bucket under it that all the guts go into. Processed rabbits go into a five gallon bucket with cold water

1 - 4 of 4 Posts