Tool Steel vs Bi-Metal Bandsaw Blades

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Getting ready to reorder metal cutting bandsaw blades from Grizzly.com. They have two types, tool steel and bi-metal variable pitch. I mostly cut mild steel, but do a bit of cutting of tool steel. On the surface, tool steel blades would seem better qualify, but they cost less than 1/2 bi-metal ones. Thus, a reverse of perceived qualify vs cost.

What is the basic difference between tool steel and bi-metal blades?

For my application, which would be better?

Since I don't cut a lot of tool steel, might it be better to bo with bi-metal for mild and then put on a tool steel blade for tool steel stock cutting?

Would tool steel blades last longer cutting mild steel than bi-metal blades?

Ken Scharabok

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ken, I am passed the frugal point to what is referred to by the family as tight. Actually all I ever want in a transaction is good value for my money. I buy bimetal only. The cost of the cuts will be far cheaper with the bimetal blades. The bimetal will have the areas above the cutting teeth made from flexible and very forgiving metal. Pinches and abuse will still let the blade survive. I have even taken a hammer to straighten blades that have gotten kinked. The material in the cutting edge on a bimetal does not have to be compromised to perform the cutting and the flexing and therefore the teeth last longer also. Tool steel blades constantly break.