Tool Steel Question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

One of the blacksmithing items which sell well for me is hardy chisels. I am considering seeing about having a company cut out triangles out of 2" x 2" stock. A bar would be cut at the appropriate angle to form a triangle 1" x 2" at the base and 2" high, turned over, another triangle cut, turned over... This produces the maximum number of hardys out of the bar.

What type of tool steel would you recommend for this? It needs to keep a cutting edge, and thus have a fairly high carbon content. To make them into hot or cold cut chisels I would just weld on a hardy shaft, so the chisel itself doesn't need to be forged - just that it needs to keep an edge.

W1, W2, S1, S2???

Side question: Does tool steel come in stainless?

Ken Scharabok

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Ive been mulling this over for a couple dayz and was wondering about using A2 tool steel it isnt stainless but it polishes up really nice when making high dollar knives.

anyhow i shall keep thikning about what you ask.

William

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Another option I would have is to cut them out of mild steel stock and then to use Robb Gunter's soap-based quench. It has been tested to quench mild steel to near tool steel hardness. Follows:

SOAP SOLUTION QUENCH

For mild and low carbon steels

Robb Gunter demonstrated this stuff at an ABANA conference. He made a chisel from a bar of ½” square, 1018 bar stock (mild steel). He then cut the “chisel” off of the parent stock heated to light cherry red, rapidly quenched it (e.g., swished it around in the bucket) and then sharpened the chisel and cut up the bar it was made from with it! The mild steel chisel even held its edge! This soap quench makes it very easy to use mild steel for short run tools. Saves you shop time and money!

Ingredients:

- 5 Gal water
    - 5 Lbs table salt
    - 8 oz Shaklee Basic-I (a wetting agent) (www.shaklee.net for dealer listing or white pages or you can order direct from www.shaklee.com)
    - 32-oz of the “Original” Dawn dishwashing liquid (the blue stuff) – or – 24 oz of “Ultra” Dawn dishwashing liquid

Mix Well

Quench at 1550F (light cherry red)

Expect 43 to 45 Rockwell C on 1018 mild steel

Can be used over and over again. Turns a green color when spent.

(Source: NRBA Fall 2003 Resource Guide)

(Supplemental note: Don’t allow quench water to become warm from quenching. If doing more than one tool, allow it to cool back down to at least room temperature before next use. It wouldn’t hurt to put it outside during cold weather. Also note the comment on short run tools. Don’t expect them to perform like tool steel.)

-----------------------
    I have request a quote from my steel supplier. Left choice of stock up to them. They would do the cutting.

Ken Scharabok

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Spoke with a life long machinest today, he knows of no stainless tool steel, wouldn't say it dosen't exist just never see any.