Took DD to dentist

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by fitwind, Jan 22, 2007.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

I took my DD to the dentist today to get a cavity filled. It didn't get filled she was to scared tohave it done the dentist couldn't work on her. When she was 4 she had a traumatic experince with a dentist. I don't know what to do. I am on a fixed income and have state medical. The problem is finding a dentist to deal with her fears and to take the medical. It makes me so mad :flame: that I have this and can't hardly use it. I'm going to have to pay for her dental some how. She also is going to need braces which is another great expense. The closest orthodontist is three hours away, then I have to worry about them being able to work on her.I am ready to get a dental insurance and pay for it myself for she can get good care. Are there any good dental insurances out there in the state of Missouri? Does anyone know how much braces cost ?(a ball park figure would be great).

2. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

In Indiana My daughters are $3800 and her teeth aren't that bad. The bottoms are cooked but top are pretty straight. She has to wear them for 2 years. We had to do a down payment of $900.00 and we pay $100.00 a month with no intrest. We don't have dental either and it is VERY expensive, just took her today for a cleaning, xrays and fluoride and it cost me $108.00.

3. tickranch

tickranch harvester of yarrow

My DS's braces cost $4000.00. He has to wear them for 1 year. He is on his fathers dent. insurance (metlife) and they paid 50%. That is for the bracket braces. The new in-visa line braces, much better IMHO, most insurances don't pay for. My sons orthodontist told me about a medical credit card thing of some sort. You apply for a certain amount and then make payments to the credit company. If you pay it off in 12 to 18 months there is only 1% interest or something like that. You can use it on more than one family member too. I can't remember the name of the company, all the paper work is with his father but I will try to find out the name from my ex.

When I had braces my parents took me to a dental school and had it done by the students. It was half as much as a regular orthodontist. I don't know if there is any dental schools with in reasonable driving distance from you but it might be worth looking in to. If your ortho is already 3 hours away it might be worth it to drive another hour or so to St. Louis and go to St. Louis university, that is were I had mine done.

No matter were you go or who does it, if she doesnt wear her retainer they will just move again and then all of this will have been for nothing. That's what I did.

4. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

We paid 3,800 for daughters braces, luckily but didn't seem like much our dental insurance paid 800.00 of it, the rest of it was ours. But we had to pay 100.00 a month.
    I know it's hard when you have no insurance, sorry to hear that your daughters scared of the dentist too, makes it hard to get procedures done, to bad you couldn't take her to a kid dentist or someone familar with her fears.

5. fitwind

OMG I thought it was like 2500.00 for braces.... I was way off wasn't I.I didn't know that you had to wear retainers along with the braces . I was thinking of getting her invisaligns thats what she wants. I just found a sleep dentist, for her has anyone hear of that? Thay give you a pill before your appointment it is suppose to relax her while they do the dentsl work. I'm going to get more info on it tomorrow, I'm not sure they use it on children.

6. fitwind

It's hard even to find a childrens dentist to work on her. She went to Miles for Smiles once and she did fine. They are coming to her school next month I'm going to see if they can do her cavity.

7. Metagirrl

Metagirrl Well-Known Member

My daughter's braces were about 3800 (Central Indiana). Luckily, we were in the position to be able to pay cash for our portion, and get a 10% discount up front. Good luck to you. I hope you're able to find someone that will work for you. It can make all the difference. It took me 26 years to finally find a dentist that I love. Now, I'm just afraid that he'll retire :)

8. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Talk to the dentist. My son's dentist would write a prescription for one ativan before the office visit.

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Please check this site http://www.carecredit.com They provide low or interest free credit to pay for medical, dental (including orthodontics), vision, even veterinary care. I've never heard of anyone being turned away. I'd hate to think of your daughter hating dentists her entire life - find one for her that practices "pain free" (gives gas). Usually with a plan such as this, the medical provider will lower the rates because the company has set fees they'll pay for.

10. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We were always so spoiled with dental insurance and cheap at that. Now that we have moved we have no dental insurance for me and the kids and it is sooooo expensive. I go today for a cleaning - $108.00, next month kids go $112.00 each with bitewing xrays - a full set of xrays cost another 75.00 so we won't be doing those.

I have one that just seems to get cavities, so i dread that and knowing me, i probably have one. And of course, one of mine has lots of teeth and a small mouth so i'm sure something will be said when we go the dentist with the kids.

We are looking into insurance coverage that has atleast cleanings included in the plan.

11. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

There are several good pediadentists in MO. My dd goes to Dr. Gardner in Columbia. Now his adult people skills leave MUCH to be desired, but he is good with the kids. There is also a woman in Cape Girardeau, don't know her name and she takes state Medicaid. Or used to take it a few years ago. You might ask your dentist for a referal, they only take on a referal basis last I knew. Hope this helps!

12. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

CAll your pediatritian and ask for a recomendation. S/he might know of just the right person for her fears.

My daughter (then 2yo) had to have some work done that was pretty extensive. They were going to have to put her under for it. Her ped. recommended a wonderful dentist who took our insurance without any problems.

13. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

are you anywhere near Salem MO? There is a real good dentist there that does take medicaid... he rarely takes new patients who are older than preschool age but he made an exception for us :) I still had one preschooler at the time.

Many dentists can use a bit of gas to relax a child... did her dentist try that?

Our daughters orthodontics was $480 down and is about $140 a month. One has a 2 year treatment and the other has a 4 year treatment. WE drive an hour and a half. I dont remember the grand totals of each... I just needed to know if we could afford the payments :) Our 4 year treatment is paid for this July, finally! No finance charge.

14. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

I can relate with your DD. I had a very tramatic experience when I was young with a dentist who kept scraping and working on my teeth with no gas.
    Now when I have to go to the dentist, I break out in a cold sweat and get stomach pains just from the thought.

We also have no medical/dental and we applied for a sliding scale fee at a local clinic. So I only have to pay $15 rather than $75. The hospital its through is a public hospital and the other night I had to go to the ER for severe pain (tooth and/or sinus) and they sent me on my way without a bill.

15. fitwind

The dentist I took her too just referred me to another dentist. The dentist is suppose to use nitrous oxide gas...... unfortunalty I found out my daughter is also scared of the gas they used it on her when she had the bad experince at the dentist. I am going to talk to him and see if we can work something out so she feels comfortable and is more relaxed and he supposedly takes medicaid. I am going to stop worrying about who takes medicaid though. I am going to concentrate on what is best for my daughter.........even if I have to pay for it. I feel this is the only way I can break the fear after such a traumatic time at her first visit. It will allow me to have a lot more options in chosiing a dentist for her.I wil have to worry about the braces later and take one step at a time.

16. tinetine'sgoat

You might want to check on the pedia dentist, they are specifically trained for children, especially ones who have fears of the dentist. At Nat's dentist in Columbia they have big game rooms with video games that they are allowed to play in instead of waiting in the waiting room. The whole room is open with many dental chairs. When it is time to get the work done they got to pick out a t-shirt and then they could watch tv while being worked on. Then when he is done they go back to play more video games while he talks to the parent. Now just the initial visit was almost 200 dollars and that was x-rays etc... Then Nat's total work was around 1500. It was high, but our insurance considered it within normal limits so I would assume that everyone charges about that much.

Maybe that helps some.

17. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Braces as an adult = $4000
    Not being told as a teen that you have to wear your retainer for life or your teeth float and you'll need braces in your late 40's? priceless.

Have you thought about "playing dentist" so she can familiarize herself with some of the routines? Sitting her in a chair and practicing "open wide" while making funny faces at her? Brushing her teeth, flossing, messing about with her mouth so she can get a sense of being able to do this one step at a time? At home you can "play dentist" and if she starts getting upset back off, go back to it, back off, making advancement in small steps.

I think as an adult it is visualizing. So.. say.. you're afraid of escalators. You visualize yourself approaching the escalator until you're comfortable walking up to it. Then you visualize the first step on until you're comfortable taking that first step. Then the ride down, the dismount, etc, until you feel calm and comfortable in your visualization.. and you've conquored the fear.

18. tinetine'sgoat

I think that is an excellent idea!! I Never would have thought of doing something like that!

19. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Wow.. you mean I came up with a clever kid thing all on my own?

Bring on Aunt-hood, I'm ready!

Sort of.

You'll still be here to hold my hand... right?

20. tinetine'sgoat

First you must master puke and poop, young one. The force is strong with you, we must ensure it will not be used for the dark side before we can issue your lightsaber. :baby04: