Too soon to put turkey in fridge?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

I have a 20 pound frozen turkey I just bought, it should be safe to put it in the fridge now shouldn't it? I will cook it Wednesday all night. I simply do not have a space in the freezer big enough.

2. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Mine has been in the fridge since Thursday and it's still rock hard! So you BETTER put it in the fridge!

My 23-pounder is in our extra fridge in the garage. I think I had it turned up too cold -- if I put a case of bottled water in there 1 or 2 bottles freeze solid. :) So I turned it down a couple days ago; hope the bird thaws in time!

3. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

You'll be darn lucky if that turkey is completely defrosted by Wednesday night. You may have to run it under cool water to get the giblet packet out of the cavity.

4. Melissa

Melissa member

I normally bake them almost frozen since I cook it all night!

5. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa WorkerBee

I just took my turkey out yesterday, too, and it's 18 pounds. The Butterball site said allow one day of thawing for each 4 pounds!! http://www.butterball.com/en/main_canvas.jsp?includePage=faq_1.jsp&t=Turkey FAQs&s0=faqs&s1=

Refrigerator Thawing:

* Thaw turkey in unopened wrapper, breast-side up, on a tray in the refrigerator.
    * For every four pounds of turkey, allow at least one day of thawing.

Cold Water Thawing:

* Place turkey in unopened wrapper, breast down and cover completely with cold tap water.
    * Change water every 30 minutes to keep surface of turkey cold.
    * Estimate minimum thawing time to be 30 minutes per pound for a whole turkey.

I imagine that I will be using a combination of thawing methods in order to get it done. :rolleyes:

I've also heard that they are not recommending slow-cooking of birds anymore....(anything under 325 degrees is considered unsafe) My family ALWAYS had a bird roasted overnight. We never knew it was unsafe. :shrug:

Good luck with the turkeycicle. I have one, too!

Sassa

6. Melissa

Melissa member

I'm cooking mine all night anyways! I do cook it at 350 degrees though. It is so tender and juicy. I usually take mine out of the freezer on Wednesday and soak it is cold water for several hours, then bake it. I am sure they have their reasons for what they say, have to keep people safe...

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Melissa,do you use a thermometer to tell when its done?

BooBoo

8. Melissa

Melissa member

No, it is done, it falls off the bone. I clean it all off in the morning, put it in a different pan and pour the broth all over it. Then I put it back in the oven until we are ready to eat.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Very interesting,must file that knowledge in my brain somewhere,thanks.
    Will tell Mrs,she will like it.

BooBoo

10. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeha, we'll probably wind up with a bird thawing in the sink, too...

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'm with you on this one, Melissa. I've always said that you can;t overcook a turkey. We cook ours until you can pull the leg bone clean out with little effort.

12. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Mine usually thaws in the sink in the end.

I found they are done when the leg meat pulls from the end of the leg bone.Of course I keep mine covered til this happens and baste the whole time. Then I remove cover to brown it up. Once brown it comes out. I cook mine with stuffing inside too.

13. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

From America's Test Kitchen. To sfaely defrost turkey without taking up fridge space, place in large cooler filled with COLD water. Place can on top & shut lid tight (the can keeps it under water.) It will thaw in 24 hours. I have done this now for the last 2 years & it works great!

14. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Melissa: I'm intrigued. when do you start and at what temp. Do you baste before going to bed? When do you eat? Noon?

15. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

I'd think it'd be ok in the fridge .How do you cook your turkey all night ????

16. Melissa

Melissa member

I let it thaw from afternoon until about 7-8 pm in a sink of cold water. Then I place it in my big roaster and add about 3-4 inches of water. I coat the top of it with all kinds of spices, I love cajun spice, garlic, pepper, no salt though. I then tightly cover the top of the roaster with foil. Place it in the oven at about 350 degrees and cook until about 8 am the next morning. If I wake up and it smells like it is done about 4 am, I might turn it down to about 250 degrees. About 8 am, I take all of the meat off the bone, put it in another roaster I have and cover with broth, and cover tightly. I put the meat back in the oven on about 300 to wait until we eat at about 1pm. Now I have all the broth that is left to make my dressing, noodles and gravy. I don't baste. It is very moist and tender and everyone who ever eats it loves it. This year I am cooking two turkeys this way, one in each oven.

17. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

So glad you brought this up.I put mine in the refrigator after buying it last thursday nite,it is still very cold but thawing.will be cookng it wed nite.I hope it will be safe to eat.I always cook it till it falls off the bone.Think I will check,may have to cook it sooner and refrigate till the big day.

18. cider

cider Well-Known Member Supporter

Melissa- Wow. 350 all night? My Mom cooked hers all night but not at 350. More like 200 or 250. She's not around to ask. I would have thought 350 would have dried it out and burnt it.
    All night is the only way to go but it makes you hungry for turkey for breakfast!

19. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

We cook ours frozen. About 6+/- hours on the woodstove with an inch or so of water, covered with aluminum foil , the last hour or so in the oven no water & no aluminum foil to make sure it's up to temp & done (if needed). Never dry.

20. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I took my 2 out tonight and put them in the fridge. We butchered them last weekend. They will go in the smoker Wednesday.