too small?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, May 10, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

spent the day calling local builders to get estimates. called 8. only 4 returned my call. of those 4, only two (maybe) are coming out.

the guy i just spoke to said he didn't really want the work, as it's too small, and more trouble than the profit would be worth, there wasn't enough profit to be made. he said that's probably why i didn't get many call backs.

the one guy who is for sure coming out, sounded like i woke him up when i called about 11 am. it was a nice day to be outside working, so it seemed strange that he was at home.

anyway, is this true? are builders going to turn down this work because less than 1000 sq. ft., 2 bd. 1 ba. isn't worth their time?

2. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Yes! There is very little profit in smaller homes.

You need to find someone who can use a small project to fit a hole in their schedule, or a hands on builder who specializes in renovations and can fit this type of job in.

The company I work for would only take this size job if they can fit it to their schedule. You might be better off looking for a modular company that can prebuild it in and then set it on a foundation. It really depends on your area.

3. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Profit is as profit does..... as Forrest might say if he were a carpenter....

I only do small jobs. Your's is actually a little large for my tastes. But then again I do it all myself. Be interested in their quotes, per square foot...

4. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

Afraid so. The last time I had work done on the house (leveling) I called and made appointments with 7 to come out. Only 4 showed and one of those was 3 hours late and angry when I refused to discuss the work with him. (he gets out of the truck scratching his belly and yawning - I'm supposed to trust he will do the work in a timely manner?) Of the 3, 2 lied about the condition the house was in and tried to jack the price up. I went with the honest bid, and the reason I know it was honest? I crawled under the house to see for myself.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and find you the perfect contractor, but I'm afraid you are going to have a long search.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

We have a few builders in our area that concentrate on building HUD homes . These people are accustomed to building small homes and have the process under control and seemingly build a rather decent house within a restricted budget. I suggest you call around a find where the nearest town may have some subsidized houses being built and visit the site and talk to a foreman. I see about a half dozen such houses under construction in an area that a local town is trying to revitalize. These houses look real nice.

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

big sigh.

this is so much harder than i expected. there is so much i just don't know. but by golly, i am learning!

okay then. i guess i should probably pursue the guy who told me to decide what i want on the outside and inside, bring him a floor plan and he'll give me a quote. he's a local guy, known by everyone, been building for 30 years. his son started on his own 20 years ago, and if i had my druthers, is who i'd hire. i'll ask around if the daddy is as good as the son. the dad also was enthusiastic about my insisting it be ada accessible, so maybe i'll just take the path of least resistence here.

texican, i need a second bedroom for frequent visitors. big use of space is all the bookcases, and ahem... piano. i started out saying i could easily live in 400 sf, but reality is i have more "stuff" than that.

7. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd keep up the search, might take a bit longer but you will probably be in your place for a lot longer! I always look for smaller jobs, things I can work around my 'day job'.

8. auntieemu

auntieemu Well-Known Member

Marvella, you are going to look back on it with pride one day - just remember that when you are frustrated and feeling 'down' - it will all work out.