Too much whey in yogurt

Discussion in 'Dairy' started by homesteader25, Mar 4, 2016.

1. homesteader25

homesteader25 Active Member

Does anyone have a solution to this other than straining? When I was milking a Dexter it wasn't a problem but ever since I've been using Jersey milk, there is just more whey. Straining helps but from 2 quarts after draining i only get 3/4 of a quart and that seems like too much loss. I've used dry starters and yogurt from store and get the same amount of whey. Suggestions?

2. Skipper1953

Skipper1953 New Member

Don't drain off so much whey and find a use for the whey you do drain off. Depending on the culture you use, you could produce a thicker yogurt with less whey.

Whey is quite nutritious in its own way. I drink some of the whey from my yogurt and I use it in cooking and baking.

3. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

By draining so much whey off you are making Greek yogurt. For regular yogurt, I use store bought full fat milk and add 4 Tbs. powdered milk to each quart. That helps firm it up without resorting to gelatin. For Greek yogurt, I strain for 30 minutes and probably strain out 3/4 cup of whey. Add an equal amount of water to the whey and some lemonade powder and it makes a refreshing drink.

4. Lady89

Lady89 Well-Known Member

If you have pigs they will love you for giving them some of that left over whey

5. mrs whodunit

mrs whodunit Well-Known Member

And chickens love the whey too.

6. badbadivy

badbadivy New Member

I give leftover whey to my dogs! But you if you have a whole lot of leftover whey, you could use it to make ricotta.

7. Gretchen Ann

Gretchen Ann Well-Known Member

I use whey in baking bread in place of water.

mrs whodunit likes this.
  8. DoubleAcre

DoubleAcre Well-Known Member

I would imagine the Dexter must have produced more butter fat then the Jersey did. We have a couple milk goats and stopped using one of the alpines because she produced a lot less butter fat. Anything made with her milk would give a lot more whey. We end up with more yogurt and cheese per gallon with the other goats. She produced a gallon a day, but no sense spending extra time for less final product.