Too much mineral?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lhopkins, Dec 15, 2004.

1. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

I have a copper problem (hair loss on tail tip) and talked to the feed store guy for a mineral. He came up with the Cargill Right Now Onxy mineral. I have to fill the girls bowl every other day. They are eating this real well and already they are re-growing the tail tip hair. This bag is about gone and I need to replace it but the feed store guy said this mineral was for mineral deficient problems.

So...can I over do it? When I buy next, should I look for a different mineral?

Here is the breakdown:

Calcium...Min 11.5% Max 12.5%
    Phosphorus...Min 10%
    Salt...Min 14% Max 15%
    Sodium...Min 4.8% Max 5.5%
    magnesium...Min 3%
    Potassium...Min 2%
    Copper...Min 2,000 ppm
    Iodine...Min. 50 ppm
    Selenium...Min 30 ppm
    Zinc...Min 4,500 ppm
    Vitamin A...Min 111,000 iu/lb
    Vitamin D...Min 11,000 iu/lb
    Vitamin E...Min 110 iu/lb

To give a more complete picture, the girls have burmuda hay, fee-choice alfalfa pellets and at the moment all are dry and no one on grain.

Thanks for your thoughts. Don't want to correct one problem and then cause another!

Leslie

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Leslie, I am feeding the same thing -- but the Bronze formula.

My 12 head went through a 50 pound bag in a month! A month!!!!

they have slowed down now, but I have no plans to change. Even if the stuff is unbelievably expensive to what I used to get ($16 a bag)

Mine is almost the same breakdown:
    Calcium...Min 11.5% Max 13.5%
    Phosphorus...Min 10%
    Salt...Min 14% Max 16.5%
    Sodium...Min 5.8% Max 6.5%
    magnesium...Min 1%
    Potassium...Min 1.5%
    Cobalt ... Min 20 PPM
    Copper...Min 2,000 ppm
    Maganese ...Min 4,000 ppm
    Iodine...Min. 50 ppm
    Selenium...Min 30 ppm
    Zinc...Min 4,500 ppm
    Vitamin A...Min 100,000 iu/lb
    Vitamin D...Min 10,000 iu/lb
    Vitamin E...Min 100 iu/lb

This is what their site says about the Onyx:
    Right Now Onyx
    This contains organic trace minerals to increase availability in challenging situations. Stressed calves, cows in AI and embryo transfer programs, developing replacements and first-calf heifers, high-value cattle, or any animals suffering mineral deficiencies that result from antagonism may have special supplementation needs. The Onyx formula helps meet these needs with zinc, manganese, copper, and other complex organic trace minerals that are more readily absorbed into the bloodstream.

This is the Bronze I am using:
    Right Now Bronze
    This contains a high nutrient density to supplement mature, dormant pastures. Levels of phosphorus, copper, and most other minerals decrease in forage as it matures. Forage intake parallels to this decline. This high nutrient density of the Bronze formula provides the right fortification during late lactation and the dry period. Excellent mineral nutrition before calving helps improve immune status and health of both cows and calves.

Actually, I might would try the Onxy myself, but I can only get the Bronze formula here.

Tracy

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

store guy said this mineral was for mineral deficient problems.

So you want to move back to another mineral and go back to having deficiency problems? :) Of course not. Continue feeding this. It's very similar to what I feed. As long as the main content is salt, and not molassas, then they will not eat too much. Mine go through alot when I change it, and when they are heavy bred...oh my goodness! Vicki

4. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

Thanks, I'll continue with the onyx mineral. (yes, it was expensive--$17 a bag) I was worried that I might get too much of a mineral in their system and then have to "detox" them.

I learned quickly to remove the salt when I started putting this mineral out. They ate the salt and didn't touch the mineral. On the tag, molasses products is the 3rd from the bottom of ingredients with salt being 3rd from the top, so I should be in good shape.

Leslie