Too Much Goat feed, now has the runs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DomesticlyChall, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DomesticlyChall

DomesticlyChall Member

My DH (who usually doesn't do stuff with the animals) didn't realize that the goats would be able to get to the feed bag where he put it, and needless to say they pretty much ate half the bag. Now the baby doe (I would say she is about 8 months old) has the runs really badly, like all down her legs, etc.
    I'm not going to give them anymore feed for a few days, they are still getting their hay, is there anything else I can do, anything I need to do, what should I be watching for?
    Thanks in advance.

Theresa,
    Busy mama to 3 cute lil girls and baby boy due anyday now
    plus 26 assorted chickens
    8 ducks and
    2 Nubian goats

Building our dream farm in the busy city

2. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

give her 4 ccs of pepto bismol every 6 hours til they stop
    NOT immodium or milk of magnesia
    works for me
    oh and lots of water so she doesnt get dehydrated, electrolytes if you have them
    if not, do a search on this forum for electrolyte recipe, there are a couple here. hope she gets better

sometimes i think goats are half piglet lol

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

If you take the grain away and only feed hay and water for a couple of days it should clear up. You might give a few squirts of probiotic daily for the next couple of days to get the good bacteria back in their guts. Yep. part piglet.

4. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

I would watch them for signs of acidosis, and if they were my goats, I'd give them a shot of vitamin b and some probios, just for my peace of mind.

Good luck, those things sometimes happen.

T

P.S. I keep my feed in a (hasn't ever been used as one) metal garbage can. Just cost a few bucks at Home Depot. The goats get on top of it, but with the lid bungee-d down, they can't get in.