Too much corn stalks?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by widfam, Jul 27, 2006.

1. widfam

widfam Well-Known Member

My neighbor has harvested his corn and said that I could have all of the stalks, which are full of leaves and a few small heads of corn, and I was wondering if it will hurt my cows if they eat too much. So far I gave them a bunch of husks and cobs they gave me after they canned their corn and a few of the stalks. The cows love it and even ate most of the stalks. They probably have about 4 pick up truck loads. I just don't want to over feed them on the stuff if it will hurt their stomach. Any opinions?

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Just limit the Amount you feed ,Should be NO trouble .But don't overfeed, Try feeding them hay first then some corn stalks.

3. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

Toward the end of last year we were getting down to the bottom of the hay stack so we bought 10 round bales of corn stalks. We supplimented with a bit of grain, but it was better then the snow balls they would have been eating.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

A neighbor was just telling me about this. He said it killed an older cow of his, something about her insides. I don't speak much southern yet :shrug: and didn't completely understand, but her death was due to too much cornstalk eating.

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Several people in the area let me come and chop their sweetcorn stalks after they have harvested the ears they want. I try to stretch it out as much as possible and haven't had any problems with overeating. The cattle love them and would open the gate for me if they could.

6. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I fed Corabelle cornstalks at the end of each summer. I kept them in the trailer and gave her a couple of armfuls (granted my armfuls aren't that big) every day until they were gone. Never had a problem other than making sure she didn't see where they were kept. I figured if she knew, she would go help herself.

7. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I run my corn stalks through the wood chipper, do a few at a time and put it in the feed bunk. I have less waste doing it that way, they love the stuff.

Carol

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

The problem with feeding cornstalks would be if you fed too much. Just take it slow and spread it out between days and they will love you for it. :)

9. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Cattle love cucumber too. We sort of over planted this year and have bucket fulls of excess cukes. I've been feeding them to 1000 pound steers they love um. Don't think I'll offer them to the little calves through, rather not take any chances with them....With or without salt they don't care!!!! Tennessee John

10. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

in kansas and nebraska its a common practice to turn cattle out on a field of green corn, the farmer cuts down a few rowes and the cattle eat this in a few days and then he cuts down some more, and so on and so forth so i dont see any reason why it should hurt them unless they are not used to lots of green food then i would work them into it, other wise let them have it

11. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

When I was a child, we killed a cow once with turnip greens. You need to watch older cows. They tend to go town when given something easy to eat.

The problem is they can bloat. As long as they are out and getting exercise to work that gas off you won't have any problems.

Our problem was she ate too much of the fresh green leafy turnips. Later she looked sick. My dad didn't know about the bloat risk so he put her in the pen to keep an eye on her. She laid down, swelled up, and never got up again. Then the vet clued us in about the bloat problem. :rolleyes:

What we should have done is walked her. We know now. :nerd:

12. widfam

widfam Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input so far so good. I give them a large armful just about everyday and they seem to be doing well. My neighbor said he doesn't need the room in the garden for about 3 more weeks so I can cut a little every other day or so. It is really helping out right now because of the drought we are in. They love it and even eat most of the stalks. Thanks again

13. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

We just let our cows in to clean out the stalks in our garden. They decimated a 100x50 ft patch with no problems in about a week. :) We usually spread them out more too but they needed the forage with the drought here. Now that thye are used to it I would increase the amount you give them just so you can use all of it up before the neighbors need to clear it out. :)