Too many flowers on cantaloupe...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Maggie, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

We have many flowers on our cantaloupe plants, but so far, no melons. Hubby thinks we should pull some of the blooms off the vines to concentrate on just getting a few melons. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for your input...Maggie

2. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

You're better off pinching a vine up to a certain point (I've heard that 3 feet is about the right distance). I don't know how much water is sent to fruit as opposed to vine and leaves. Also, when it gets hot you'll lose flowers, too, so you really may not want to remove any of the flowers. Otherwise, you won't have ANY flowers. We're having a hard time getting stuff in the pumpkin/squash/gourd area to grow. It's just now really taking off, but I blame most of that on this being my first real year at gardening (I WAY under-watered the first half of the season). Next year I'm going to be light years ahead of the average gardener out there in this area. :p

3. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Don't pull them! Cantalope, like most melons has male and female flowers. It makes a lot of male flowers and a few female flowers. The males come on first generally, followed by the females. Only the female blossoms will form a fruit. If you look closely you can see the difference. the male just looks like a flower, the female will have a bulge between the flower and the stem...a little tiny unpollenated fruit.

Good luck!

Shane