Too many buck!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kathy&jeff, May 30, 2006.

1. kathy&jeff

kathy&jeff Member

This is our second year of kidding our nubian does and we have had 13 bucks born and zero does. Can anyone tell me why they think this might be happening? Is this more common than I think? I have one more doe that is due on Friday to hopefully break this string of bucks.

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

There is a nutritional problem that can cause more bucks to be born and if does are born they will be small and weak. I can't remember what caused it off the top of my head, and the book I saw it in is a library book, so not in my library (yet -- I've ordered it and it hasn't come yet).

Or you could just have a buck who throws bucks.

Kathleen

3. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I just read a theory that apple cider vinegar in the water changes the pH of the mother doe and makes producing females more likely. Of course, it's too late for any doe that is already preganant. But it is something easy to try for your next breeding...

Here's the link: (it's pretty far down on the page) http://www.naturalark.com/natgoatmed.html

Here's the quote from it:
    "There is also an old farmer's tale that ACV added to the water of bucks and does can help you get a kidding season of more does than bucks, and with horses can get you more fillies than stallions. Whether or not this is actually true has yet to be studied, as it probably is not something anyone is going to get a study grant for, but as a general rule I find that it works somewhat for me. In the 2004 breeding season I did not add ACV to my stallion's water and ended up with a foal crop of nothing but boys, in previous years my stallion had only given me fillies with the ACV added to mares and stallion water. I've noted the same sort of response with my goat population. But, not always, as it also depends on how much is used, how often, and of course all of the other environmental factors. So whether or not that holds true for you, well, I say it may be worth a try over a few kidding seasons in your own herd to see what happens. Certainly I would encourage you to use it in your bucks' water if he is prone to urinary problems, and it certainly can't hurt as a preventative for any of your bucks or wethers."

Jennifer

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that younger bucks tend to throw buck kids? Don't know if it's true, but it applies to our situation. We had 11 kids and only 2 doelings this year.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

unfortunately you can not influence the ratio doe to buck neither vinegar nor nutrition. but homebirtha is right. for some reasons young bucks tend to sire more buck kids. i don't have the explanation for that.

6. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

I would change bucks-he is the one that determines the sex of the kids-sometimes you get one that seems to throw all bucklings.

7. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Ive heard similar: female diet of bananas for boys (potassium and low ph) and vinegar for girls.

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I just finished posting a reply on another thread about Pat Coleby stating in "Natural Goat Care" that an iodine deficiency can cause a preponderance of bucklings---and yes, if it is severe enough, any doelings that are born can be weak, even hairless, and not thrive or be born dead.
    All my goats get free-choice kelp powder. I don't have any proof that her information is correct, but the only doe I've had give birth so far gave me triplet doelings. I will keep you posted---I have one due in a few weeks and 2 due in July!

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jillis -- that is what I was thinking of! I'm still waiting for my copy of the book, and couldn't remember which one of the many nutritional problems she talks about was the culprit in this case.

Kathleen

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

The first year I bred goats, I almost gave it up. I got only one doeling out of several does and more than one sire. Most of these goats were born to kid later in the year and were young does. I have heard that if you breed the doe in the later part of her cycle, she is more apt to have bucklings, thus more AI kids are bucks. Since that year, I've had plenty of doelings. My only frustration this year is that all the does I took to one of my friend's bucks to be bred had bucklings. The ones I bred to my bucks and my other friend's Nigerian buck had kids of both sexes. Good luck with that last doe.

11. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know, I honestly find it kind of odd that goat people have all these "ideas" for how to get more does. Isn't it like a fact of nature that the buck (or male of any species) determines sex of the babies? In my mind, if any of my bucks start throwing like over 75% bucks, I'd cull him.

12. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Well, yeah, the buck has the x and y chromosomes and from him comes the dna info on whether the offspring will be a male or female. But there is more to it than that. There is a difference in the characteristics of the x sperm and the y sperm. And each type responds to different conditions inside the vagina and the uterus of the female. The y's are faster and can get to the egg quicker, but if the egg hasn't arrived yet (the breeding happened a bit early), then the x's can live longer. Also the x's maybe a bit more tolerent of acidity in the vagina. Also, if a buck keep throwing bucks, then something could be happening inside his testicles (a pH balance) that throws off the x chromosomes... SO then nutrition does come into play and can determine the end result.... That's the theory anyway....

Jennifer

13. kathy&jeff

kathy&jeff Member

Thanks for all the good advice. We are getting a different buck. I think we will try some of the nutritional stuff. It couldn't hurt. We have one doe left. She is due in a day. We'll keep you posted about the results.

14. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right that the nutritional items could not hurt and might help. The vinegar and the kelp are both highly beneficial, even if it doesn't affect the gender of the offspring.