Too Late?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BertaBurtonLake, Oct 10, 2006.

1. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

I wanted to plant a fall garden this year for the first time. I live in the county outside of Chatham, Va (zone 7). I had to go out of town for 2 weeks to nurse my 92 year old aunt through viral encephalitis and then have been playing "catch-up" for the last week so did not get it done.

Is it too late for me to plant a fall garden? What would you include in it if it is not too late? i particularly wanted broccoli, collards, spinach and cabbage.

What do you think?

~Berta

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I AM NOT familiar with that area. However,with some necessary help I would think you would still be able to plant some vegetables. Give it a try. Or ask neighbors near by what they think.

3. kbshorts

kbshorts Well-Known Member

Go for it! Broccoli and collards might be tough but I really like trying to get the fall garden to produce. I am in the mountains, zone 6. You have a little more time than I do. Also think about, garlic, kale, turnips, swiss chard and if you can find some sets, walking onions. Good luck.
    KB

4. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

With a cold frame over them or some fleece you should still get some crop in Z7. Kale would be a good choice, you might get radishes,corn salad (mache), escarole grows slowly but will grow all winter. If you've got some left over leaf lettuce seeds you could try them. Probably too late for head lettuce.
    PQ