Too late to start a garden (zone 4/5)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TerriA, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

Our garden turned out miserably this year due to a lot of things... :eek:

I would like to plant a "winter garden" using cold frames, hot beds, etc if needed and am wondering if it is too late and some ideas of plants that can be successfully grown now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Terri

2. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

If you look into some of the frost hardy greens or maybe some quick root crops. It also matters how soon the first freeze comes to your area.

Greens like Mustard, Kale, or a really quick variety of spinich or cabbage.

Root crops like beets, turnips, or the really fast radish.

The greens can endure moderate frost and should do well into Nov. if you cover them at night.

The root crops should be done in time to avoid any real cold. They should be done by early to Middle Oct.

Just be sure to not cover to soon. The sun can still be quite hot in Sept.
    Also get them in the ground really soon. The length of daylight is changing quickly this time of year.

P.S. You could check Noaa weather for the frost and freeze advisories in your area when the time comes to start covering.

Good Luck :).

3. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

Thank you! :goodjob:
    Just what I thought.. a bit too late for green beans, etc.. we get frosts normally mid/late September... but I think I have time then for greens and beets. I wish there was time for carrots ... maybe one of the earliest types? Could I plant them over some rabbit/goat manure compost mix... in a cold frame if I start now?

Also am wondering about the ability to actually grow something inside this winter (other than sprouts, some herbs and lettuce under grow lights). Am thinking of turning one room into a "grow room" since we don't have a greenhouse done yet.... anyone ever really do this????

Terri

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

We are starting our late lettuce and spinach now. It will overwinter in the garden, maybe covered with row cover. We often plant spinach and lettuce in the first snow and it usually comes up very early in the spring. Also kale, swiss chard, maybe some short season broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage would be worth trying. We usually start these crops in flats and transplant out the little plants as it avoids trying to weed around tiny seedlings that are just sprouting. Of course, garlic should be planted in Sept or Oct, too.

Jim

5. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I got this response from my extension office regarding the fall garden:

Reply from Ask Extension -- Hort Corner -- Vegetables & Fruits

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Extension Message (Fall garden)
    Hi,
    right now it would be tough to get a fall crop with the heat and dry unless you could provide moisture and maybe a little light shade. Otherwise you should wait until later this summer. For lettuce I would sow seed about late Aug or early september. For the broccoli and brussels sprouts you can direct sow the seed in July then thin to stand at proper spacing. You will need to provide water because of the seedlings slow down yo will get a poor crop. the spinach I would so about Sept and again keep moist. You also might provide a little light shade by covering the row with newspaper to shade the soil during germination.

Greg Stack
    Extension Educator, Horticulture
    Matteson Extension Center

I am not even starting my fall greens until after September 1st.

6. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

We live in zone 5 IL. Last year was our first for fall/overwinter gardening. We seeded everything the end of July/early August. Nothing was ready for fall harvest. It might have been due to lack of moisture or lack of sun. This year we are irrigating and adding additional lighting in the UH poly-covered greenhouse. Although, all of the cold crops survived the winter well. It was amazing to see how hardy these little plants can be.

The carrots were ready this spring. The broccoli flowered in the spring, but was bitter for some reason. The cabbage didn't form a head, but rushed to seed this spring.

This fall we are planting now and adding irrigation and light fixtures to extend the day length. Hopefully this gets more growth on before it starts getting really cold. I am trying green beans for the fall and just planted them a couple of weeks ago. They will be covered in a poly-tunnel, so frosts shouldn't harm them until it gets pretty cold and cloudy, say in late November. Last year, I was able to keep my basil and peppers alive this way until it frosted in the tunnel in late November. I also had mature celery in there that kept until mid to late January. It really was great fun to go out and clip a few stalks of fresh celery for the stuffing for Christmas dinner. I enjoyed the fall/winter gardening so much, that I really didn't put out any cold crops for the summer garden at all. I saved them all for now. I hope to get it right this time! I am, however, missing my green beans something fierce. I really should have planted some this spring. :bash:

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Pickapeppa, last year was pretty cold here in IL 5 -- I remember that NOTHING did really well. Funny thing is, I encouraged my in-laws to plant a Fall garden in zone 4B, and it did great!

I tried to sneak in another planting of green beans just in case we get a warmish Fall. I won't be starting the greens for a couple more weeks yet (it's supposed to get to 90 today!). Garlic is going to wait a good long time, probably October.

Just go ahead and try the stuff you want to try, TerriA. I have so much seed because I cannot resist close-outs and sales, so I love to experiment. Many times, I am pleasantly surprised.

Good luck to you!

Pony!

8. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

In addition to what other posters have mentioned, you can also plant some of the hardier herbs to have that fresh garden taste throughout the winter. Some examples: parsley, cilantro, chives, sage, thyme, fennel, dill.

9. blinkus

blinkus Active Member

Mmmmmm beeing new to all this what are zones and where can i find mine? I'm in lower alabama on the florida line.It stays warm pretty much all year except for late december and january.