too late to split?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by makeitdolou, Jul 3, 2006.

1. makeitdolou

makeitdolou Well-Known Member

I had combined a queenless hive with another hive a while back. Both were this year's packages. A week and a half ago, I added a shallow super on the top of the two deeps with an excluder between. My thought was to give some air space and also allow the bees to move food stores up to the top so there is more brood space below. Today, the two deeps are drawn out and although it was around noon on a sunny, windless day (amazing after the rain storms we've had here in NY), nearly all the frames were covered with bees. Two frames in the honey super have some drawn comb with honey. There are no queen cells. There are a hundred or so bees always on the "porch" during the day.

I'm wondering if I should separate the two deeps and reform two hives, and if this would work if I have no queen cells. Or should I leave well enough alone?

And this was the crankiest I have seen them - I walked away with my share of stings. Cabin fever? I have been thinking of sewing up about 100,000 little bee raincoats and rainhats...thunderstorms again in the forecast...

Rosie

PS - the other two hives, started around the same time, have one completely drawn deep and a partially drawn deep, with a honey super on top. in both these hives, the shallow super isn't drawn out. There weren't as many bees on the frames. No queen cells.

2. Jack Parr

Jack Parr Well-Known Member

is my advice. However I live way down south and I am not sure of your honey flow or nectar time up in NY.

More bees in one box/hive gather more nectar then two smaller hives. Splitting would reduce the colonies of course. Plus there will be lost time if you are planning to let the split bees make their own queen. Not a good idea at this time IMO, if your objective is to gather honey so...

If you do split be sure that the brood frames that you pull have eggs in the cells and then the bees will do what's needed.

Good luck. JP

3. rwjedi

rwjedi Member

I would get them a screened bottom board (SBB) and a top entrance. This will ventilate the hive and allow those girls to get off their behinds and get back inside and back to work. At least open up the top for them to have some ventilation. Also I would consider pulling out a couple frames of honey out of the brood nest and then inserting a couple empty frames in the brood nest. This will give them more room and help keep them from swarming.

4. makeitdolou

makeitdolou Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jack and rwjedi. I will give them more ventilation tomorrow. I appreciate your input!
    Rosie