Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We planted some old seeds from last year and they are not doing well, and we wanted to plant again with new seeds...would it be worth it to try again? We are in Georgia, so it's way hot...I read something about fall plantings of zucchini being planted in August, but not cantaloupe.

???

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
I would give the zuchini a try what are you going to loose a buck in seed it is worth a try you will probably need to keep a soaker hose with them and water twice a day till they are established

what the hay try the mellons too if it works you may find yourself planting 2 crops every year you can get away with a lot in gorgia that we don't have time for in WISCONSIN

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
When is your first typical fall frost? Look at your seed packet and find the days to harvest on it. Count back from your first frost date, add a couple weeks for good measure. The date you end up on is the ideal date to plant. A few weeks earlier wouldn't hurt but you are gambling if you plant later.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I had trouble with zucchini seeds too. We have a new Wal-Mart nearby and they were selling plants in peat-type pots. Where you tear off the bottom of the pot and just plant the whole things. Less transplant shock when you are trying to do it this time of year.

The plants were pretty good-sized so I was a little worried. But, the plants I put in are doing great and have tripled in size since I purchased them two weeks ago.

In our area (SE Nebraska) - we'd never be able to keep seedlings alive in the July heat after they germinate. They would be goners. This was the only solution for me - other than waiting until next year.

Yes, in Georgia you could do a fall garden with some of those crops. We are more limited here - but my parents always started a fall garden in August. Mostly cole crops

1 - 4 of 4 Posts