Too late for package bees?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by valmedo, Apr 27, 2006.

1. valmedo

valmedo Well-Known Member

We have one hive and would like to add a second one, but we waited too long. Does anyone know of a beekeeper or bee supply that still has packages to ship? We would be interested in buying a hive if anyone close enough had one to sell. We are in NE Ohio.

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

We are in the exact same situation although our hive is one year old. The way I read your post, your hive is brand new this year?

Our first hive wintered very well and is exceptionally strong...at least in comparison to it's first spring last year! I have ordered a queen and will pull a frame or two of brood from the old hive and place these into a small nuc along with the new queen to create my 2nd hive. It won't be strong enough to produce honey this year, but if it winters, I will have 2 good hives next year.

I guess another way you could go is to find a local source of "nucs". Do you have a honey co-op nearby? This is a good source for 'bee things' for me.

3. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

You might try Kelly Bees. I get my 2 packages tomorrow.

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Valmedo, I have some 3 lb packages of Carnolians arriving Wednesday evening. I can spare one for cost. If you are interested you MUST pick them up late Wednesday evening (when we get back from picking them up after work) or at the latest Thursday. Once I put the package into one of our Nucs I will not be willing to sell it. We are located in Strongsville. I'll PM you details and a contact phone number.

Mike