Too late for garlic?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HoosierDeb, Nov 7, 2004.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I live in N. Indiana, zone 5. Everything I have read about garlic says to plant it in fall in this area. Here it is November already and I didn't get it in again. Anyone know if it's too late for this year?

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

As long as you can get it in the ground, it's never too late. Just make sure to mulch some to protect the cloves through the winter. Lots of folks don't even plant garlic, especially the soft neck type until spring.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I've planted garlic in zone 2b in Canada as late as late November even with a light crust of ground frost. It came up the following year, and harvested nice sized bubs. ;)

4. cedargrove

cedargrove Well-Known Member

I plant on my BD 01/23 here in North East Kansas and have a great crop !!!!

5. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I'm in NE Pennsylvania...I already got 800 cloves in the ground, but
    still have another 200-400 to go (for my farm stand).
    It is not too late. Mulching helps keep them at a more constant
    temp. but more important, helps keep weeds down in the spring.
    I missed my window of opportunity yesterday, but focused on
    digging potatoes and dahlia roots. There will still be days when you
    can get them in the ground when YOU aren't freezing doing it.
    Good luck. The garlic should do fine.
    Ann

6. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

That's good to know, as I'm in zone 5 and still need to plant mine! Jan in Co

7. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

The absolute latest that you can plant garlic this year will be 31 December. It was on that date last year that I planted some just to prove that it could be done. Survival was 100% and harvest was only a week or so later than that which had been planted in September.

As long as the ground is soft enough to dig holes for the cloves, it is never too late. Even if you have to chop through an inch of frosty soil, as I did last year, you will be OK.

If all else fails, garlic may be held for planting any time in April although the resulting bulbs will be slightly smaller and harvest will be in August rather than July in the northern zones.

I grew at least 25 varieties of garlic this year and still sending out requests for my "gardener's mix" on another forum. That is, 2 or 3 cloves of 7 or 8 varieties. The gardener need only save one clove from each bulb to assure the same mix year after year.

Martin

8. diamondefarm

diamondefarm Well-Known Member

I think Dec 31st is the latest date you can do anything this year :haha:

9. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

[​IMG]

Thanks diamond, I welcomed the laugh but find myself without anyone to help me clean up the coffee spray all over everything. :haha: