Too late for corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Jul 20, 2004.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Got some seed off Ebay. Unfortunately it took almost a month to get here :(
    Is it too late? It's supposed to be 64 day maturity. Our first frost isn't usually until late december, early october, but will the temps be too low?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I think it depends on the variety. And what kind of temps.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You have enough time but the season is not the best for growing things. Like dry spells and shorter days. Look at it this way.. If you don't plant it, you won't get anything.. How much worse can you do if you do plant it? You will never know if you don't try.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I'm planning on planting some short season Corn,soon as I get my early Potatos out of the ground.We got one more row to do tomorrow.

big rockpile

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Central Texas, it's no time to plant anything. The ground is rock hard and the days are dry and hot. Couldn't dump enough water on the ground to make anything grow. So I'd save the seed for next year. But I have no idea about your land or climate.
    mary

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

July and August tend toward the hot side, but come mid September, the temps start dropping, especially at night. We'd be having high 60 daytime and high 40s low 50s at night

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't know about you, but I intend to put in one last row of corn ASAP. It is 50-50 that I will lose it, of course. A risk that I am willing to take!

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We just planted 2 rows today and plan to plant 2 more tomorrow. We are in zone 8. We can use the underdeveloped stalks for goat feed if they don't turn out. Go for it!

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Your september sounds like july and august where I gardened in colorado. My corn did ok. It might go a little longer on the days if it gets cool, but as long as it doesn't frost, you should be good to go. IMHO.

10. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I say go for it...nothing ventured, nothing gained. The weather has been so wet in the northeast that alot of my gardens have washed out or drowned. I'll be replanting corn & beans this weekend...hoping for a long, indian summer.

11. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

I would plant it and keep it moist. A soaker hose with straw mulch or something would be ideal. I just planted some Kandy Kwik myself.

12. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Plant it. I am zone 3b to 4 and have planted things too late many times. They tend to suprise you because of the temperature of the soil and the heat of the day. Just remember to keep it watered well... the soaker hose is a good idea.