Too hot water?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by dalilies, Apr 25, 2005.

1. dalilies

dalilies Well-Known Member

Our pig is doing great. Plan on putting him in a pig tractor by next weekend where he will spend the summer. Currently have him in a chicken tractor. Boy does that make people's eyebrows go up when you tell them that the pig is in the chicken tractor. :eek:

I connected a nipple waterer to a hose and have it attached to his pen. The hose goes straight to a faucet. Seems to be working well right now but my husband is worried about the water getting too hot this summer from the hose laying in the sun. Told him I would check with the experts to see if we need to refigure how to water him this summer.

Jennifer

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Yes, the water in the hose is or will be too hot. Get a barrel, paint the exterior white and put the water in the barrel then to the nipple waterer. If you can arrange to shade the barrel it would be a lot better.

3. dalilies

Now I don't know what to do!.

We will be keeping Burbanks in a tractor and moving it around. There won't be anywhere to put a barrel up so that gravity will pull the water down to the nipple waterer. Plus, moving the tractor and barrel seems like a lot of work. I wouldn't be able to move the pen unless the barrel was empty. I have the 3 hog panels to make the tractor but from my understandings that won't be a big enough pen for one pig to leave in one place all summer.

How do other people that use pig tractors keep them watered?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

4. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

Where did you get the design for the pig tractor? We built a chicken tractor but I don't think it was be nearly sturdy enough for our pigs.

:) Carla

5. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I don't know how much a pig will drink in a day. Would the nipple waterer work with a 5 gal bucket instead of a barrel?

6. dalilies

Hmmm, the 5 gal bucket is an idea. Can't wait to hear if others have tried it and how it worked.

Got the pig tractor idea from old post on this site. If I describe this wrong, please someone correct me because I'm putting it together this weekend. You take 3 hog panels and cut one in half. arrange them into a 8x16 pen. You wire/tie 4 foot 4x4's into the corners to hold them together. Put it were you want it and insert 2 T posts along each long sides to hold it in place. When it is time to move, remove the T posts, move the pen, reinsert T posts. Rig up shade/rain protection in one end. I'm planning on using either some old metal roofing, a tarp, or a combo of the two. I'll figure that part as I go.

Jennifer

7. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

I would use a 5 gal bucket with a nipple watere on it. Make sure the nipple is adjusted for low pressure flow and then just keep and eye on it to see how much they drink.

We use a 55 gal white poly drum and shade it and we haven't had any problems yet but we don't use the pig tractor idea.

Good luck.

8. royB

royB Active Member

While we're not using them in a tractor, we are using 5 gal buckets connected to nipple waterers in a pasture for our pigs. I fill them morning and evening but for now it is all I have. I have 2 buckets, one with a bred gilt and one with w gilt that just farrowed. The bred gilts drinks less than half a bucket each time I fill it up. Both have access to lots of shade under the trees so that probably helps.

9. BFFhiredman

BFFhiredman Well-Known Member

We've used old water heaters that the local hardware was going to throw away. Most have a small leak that isn't a problem with a gravity system. Put the nipple in the hole where the lower heating element was. You will need a bushing to get it sized correctly. We moved the tank when we moved the pigs about once a week. We had a hose run to the paddock and could run the water a little until it cooled down. An 80 gal. tank would last five pigs about three days in the summer. Maybe a day less if it got really hot.

10. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

What if you took an old wagon or built a flat frame with wheels on it to put under the drum? It would be just tall enough so the pigs wouldn't have to put their head down to drink and when it's time to move, just roll it over to the next spot.